Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Insane High School Softball numbers

by Mike Lednovich » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:20 am

The economy must really be hurting high school softball programs. At my DD's school they're carrying 17 on varsity and 19 on JV. At $400 a pop that's $14,400. Gonna be a lot of unhappy parents with their kids sitting.

Anyone else seeing this?
Mike Lednovich,
Fullerton College/OC Hawks 18Gold
Mike Lednovich

by Randomizer » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:03 pm

:?: Are you saying that the High school charges the girls to play? If so, what area are you from? I have noticed that the travel teams, at least in our area, are not getting the same number of girls at the try outs that they have in the past. Also have seen a couple of kids have to drop off the travel teams because of "family finances".
Listen to my band 'cause I'm the Guitarzan
Randomizer

by Sftbll4ever » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:05 pm

Mike Lednovich wrote:The economy must really be hurting high school softball programs. At my DD's school they're carrying 17 on varsity and 19 on JV. At $400 a pop that's $14,400. Gonna be a lot of unhappy parents with their kids sitting.

Anyone else seeing this?

We are almost the same, $350.00, with the same exact numbers on JV and Varsity. Are you sure one of your pitchers that goes to my dd's school didn't give you those numbers??? :D

I know that there are at least 5 girls on our Varsity that will never see the fields. Well maybe once or twice.

Bad thing for me, I have two girls in the program.
Sftbll4ever

by Mike Lednovich » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:10 pm

Sftbll4ever wrote:
Mike Lednovich wrote:The economy must really be hurting high school softball programs. At my DD's school they're carrying 17 on varsity and 19 on JV. At $400 a pop that's $14,400. Gonna be a lot of unhappy parents with their kids sitting.

Anyone else seeing this?

We are almost the same, $350.00, with the same exact numbers on JV and Varsity. Are you sure one of your pitchers that goes to my dd's school didn't give you those numbers??? :D

I know that there are at least 5 girls on our Varsity that will never see the fields. Well maybe once or twice.

Those are the numbers as of Thursday's practices. There's no way to avoid drama with 9 kids on the bench.
Mike Lednovich,
Mike Lednovich

by Mike Lednovich » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:13 pm

Randomizer wrote::?: Are you saying that the High school charges the girls to play? If so, what area are you from? I have noticed that the travel teams, at least in our area, are not getting the same number of girls at the try outs that they have in the past. Also have seen a couple of kids have to drop off the travel teams because of "family finances".

Orange County, Ca. yes they charge to play. Although technically, if you can't afford it, the school by rule cannot deny a student participation in the program.
Mike Lednovich,
Mike Lednovich

by Ace » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:36 pm

Mike Lednovich wrote:
Sftbll4ever wrote:

Anyone else seeing this?

Those are the numbers as of Thursday's practices. There's no way to avoid drama with 9 kids on the bench.

You can avoid the drama by winning.
"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."
Ace

by Mike Lednovich » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:41 pm

Ace wrote:
Mike Lednovich wrote:
Sftbll4ever wrote:

Anyone else seeing this?

You can avoid the drama by winning.

That will take the pressure off, but some are going to kick and scream after paying $400 in a bad economy to watch their DD sit on the pine for 3 months.
Mike Lednovich,
Mike Lednovich

by DDG » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:13 pm

With the budgets the way they are, there is no room for athletic programs. Many have to be self sufficient.

Be thankful if your school can still charge a fee. DD’s school was one of the schools sued a few years back by a group of money seeking lawyers. The end result is that they can not require a fee to do any extra curricular activities. The most they can do is ask for donations. Guess what % pay the suggested donation? The program is in constant need of money. It’s always the same families that pay the donation that are working all the fundraisers also.

Really makes for interesting discussions when you see kids dropped off at practices/games by parents in their fancy German cars, and you know they do nothing to support the program (no donation, no time spent on fundraising, etc.).
DDG

by HBDave » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:59 pm

Last season at an OC HS I paid $44 per at bat for my DD to be "coached" to the brink of quitting the game forever. :x
HBDave

by anonlooker » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:08 pm

HBDave wrote:Last season at an OC HS I paid $44 per at bat for my DD to be "coached" to the brink of quitting the game forever. :x

which one? did she transfer? or is she running track this spring?! :o
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

Next

Return to CA