Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Insane High School Softball numbers

by Ace » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:11 pm

HBDave wrote:Last season at an OC HS I paid $44 per at bat for my DD to be "coached" to the brink of quitting the game forever. :x

Now that we know how much it cost per at bat, tell us what it cost per hit.
"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."
Ace

by Mike Lednovich » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:22 pm

Ace wrote:
HBDave wrote:Last season at an OC HS I paid $44 per at bat for my DD to be "coached" to the brink of quitting the game forever. :x

I'm tempted to post the reality most H.S. coaches don't face and how they aren't held accountable, but I'm already in hot water for exercising 'free speech.'
Mike Lednovich,
Fullerton College/OC Hawks 18Gold
Mike Lednovich

by Ace » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:50 pm

Mike Lednovich wrote:
Ace wrote:

I'm tempted to post the reality most H.S. coaches don't face and how they aren't held accountable, but I'm already in hot water for exercising 'free speech.'

Well shucks, it sounds like you just did. And what exactly is it that MOST hs coaches are not accountable for? And who is it that they are accountable to? Their student athletes? Their Athletic Director? Their Principal? Parents? Boosters? Oh maybe its their star players TB Coaches. I just dont know.
"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."
Ace

by HBDave » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:14 pm

No, she didn't transfer and she's not running track either. She just opted not to play. As far as what I paid per hit, it came out to about $148. For anyone who might be math-challenged that comes to $440 in fees and fundraisers, 11 AB, 3 hits, .273 avg.
HBDave

by watcher » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:22 pm

It will cost me more for my kid to play HS this year than to attend college next year

Edit to exclude a couple plane flights...lol
watcher

by pixsguy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:49 pm

varsity is carrying 14, jv is carrying 18, frosh team is at 14...pay for your own gear (uniforms) and fundraiser every other week...at its a public school in downey...one a good note, team has 10 travelball players on varsity and another 6-8 waiting on jv...better note...travelteam not charging while dark...
pixsguy
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Iluvblue » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:00 pm

The local HS here is trying like crazy to have 3 teams. They had 11 varsity players and 16 players for jv and frosh teams. They went to a few of the players and told them they would play on the jv team but also have to fill in for 6-7 games on the Frosh team.

1 of these kids is a Freshman and is easily in the top 3 hitters in the entire program, but to make those numbers work, she is left down to play between the frosh and jv teams.

There are so many things wrong with this scenario I ALMOST do not know where to begin.

1) A players around her that is a travel player should be on the JV at the bare MINIMUM. Sophs can actually play on the Frosh team, so really weak SOPH players can be put on the Frosh/Soph team to make it work. They just want to participate after all.

2) The Varsity team should be where the best players play. if it is close between an underclassman and a jr/sr, the sr should get the nod. But if it isnt close, the sr should be sitting.

3) There must be SOME attempt at doing what is best for all involved. Coaches can not hide behind the same old argument of "it is needed for the program." Players must benefit the program and the program must benefit the players. It might be 70% for the program, 30% for the player, but the player must get some consideration in these decisions.

This is not happening. So I know of 1 player that made the decision to just skip HS ball during her Freshman season and play travel. Another player that should be on Varsity will make the same decision if she is left on jv/frosh also.

Pay to play??? heck no. We all pay taxes for public schools. Those so called extracurricular activities are part of the school IMO. How the heck did Govt exist in the 20s.30s, and 40s when they had far more expensive public works programs to build?? Roads, highways, water system infrastructure? If they asked me for donations I would also donate squat.

Do the football players also have to pay a fee to play? Our school avgs probably 5k per game for football. Times 5 home games and they are probably making 40k a game with snack bbar (ran by boosters for teams) That amount alone.

Pay to play??? Could this be the start of the end for HS sports?
Iluvblue

by Comets16 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:24 pm

Not only team fees but here in the south, you have to pay gate fees to watch DD play...So the more players on the team more gate fees and consession fees too! :o
Comets16

by Joe Dirt » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:29 am

Hey Mike, I do not know you and I understand what you are saying. But aren't you one of the coaches who advertises zero tolerance for behind the scenes parent drama, or something like that? This just sounds a little like that. I'm just sayin'.
Sedit qui timuit ne non succederet - He who feared, he would not succeed, sat still.
Joe Dirt

by Mike Lednovich » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:10 am

Joe Dirt wrote:Hey Mike, I do not know you and I understand what you are saying. But aren't you one of the coaches who advertises zero tolerance for behind the scenes parent drama, or something like that? This just sounds a little like that. I'm just sayin'.

That's a good point Joe. This is a high school situation where we're locked into 'one' program. If it were a travel team with this many players, we'd be looking for another team. So we're at the mercy of those who chose to run the program this way. Also was looking to see what other folks were experiencing at their respective schools and whether the economy was driving these high roster numbers.
Mike Lednovich,
Fullerton College/OC Hawks 18Gold
Mike Lednovich

PreviousNext

Return to CA