Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Catching Questions

by CAdreamin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:54 pm

Ok, I have a few questions for all of you experts out there. DD is a 2nd year 12U that has played rec for many years and travel for the last 2. She has a really strong arm and has always played 3rd. Current team switched her to catcher at the end of last year because they really had nobody. So here are my questions/comments/concerns. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

What are the pros/cons of catching

What type of person does it take - does she automatically become the leader

Is their a preferred body type - she is tall and slender, will this work against her

How significant is the injury risk

What is a good split time (?) (meaning time from release out of pitcher's hand to pop of glove @2nd base) for a strong bracket catcher at the 12U/14U level and then HS

Other issues to consider

Thanks in advance for any and all input. Yes I have talked to her coach but I get the feeling he is telling me anything to make me feel better about this transition. Would appreciate some honest input.

Johnny
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little "extra"
CAdreamin

by Canocorn » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:09 pm

Best positon to be playing. Really is not a set body type. Just have to be quick, tough, had have a quick release. Dont let her catch every game. She will thank you in 15 years. Get a good coach to work with her on her skills. As she gets more comfortable, she will become a leader or should be. Coach needs to explain why he calls pitches. So when she gets older, she can her own. Catchers generally have the best overall knowledge of what is happening in the game.
Canocorn

by GSB » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:53 pm

CAdreamin wrote:Ok, I have a few questions for all of you experts out there. DD is a 2nd year 12U that has played rec for many years and travel for the last 2. She has a really strong arm and has always played 3rd. Current team switched her to catcher at the end of last year because they really had nobody. So here are my questions/comments/concerns. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

What are the pros/cons of catching

Is their a preferred body type - she is tall and slender, will this work against her

What is a good split time (?) (meaning time from release out of pitcher's hand to pop of glove @2nd base) for a strong bracket catcher at the 12U/14U level and then HS

Other issues to consider

Thanks in advance for any and all input. Yes I have talked to her coach but I get the feeling he is telling me anything to make me feel better about this transition. Would appreciate some honest input.

Johnny

Pros: Gets to be involved in every play of the game, learns leadership skills and gets to see every batter up close.

Cons: Gets to be involved in every play of the game, learns leadership skills and gets to see every batter up close.

LOL... Come on, is this really a "I feel bad that my DD got a travel team starting catching position" post? I guess some folks cant handle success. Besides the pitcher, they get the most action during the game. The safest position to play on the entire field. Only draw back is when they turn 70 or so the knees may crack a bit. LOL... Give me a break.....
To each their own.
GSB

by CAdreamin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:12 pm

No, I did not mean for this to be a take pity on me post. I was just trying to get some realistic information about the position and what to expect out of her. I think she is excited about the transition so naturally as a supportive parent I am happy for her as well. Just dont know much about the intricacies of catching and wanted to know what realistic goals I/we should set for her. Also, her current team is not really the strongest team out there, kind of middle of the road if you know what I mean. Someone on the team mentioned anything below 3 seconds was good at this level. That just sounds a little slow to me, but I am by no means an authority on this subject.

Johnny
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little "extra"
CAdreamin

by 3Bsnag » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:37 pm

By NO means an expert, but I was and am exactly where you are. Had a 3B that a couple of coaches that thought she should catch and we switched. Here's my take:

Pro's- she should be one of the leaders, never gets bored, grins ear to ear at plays at the plate, enjoys firing back a throw at the pitchers head when she is missing her pitches and making her chase the wrong way (lol), great scholarship opportunities, enjoys the special bond with her pitchers, loves calling own pitches
Con's- hard work without the glory, all of your best friends are pitchers (lessons), every joint in her body pops like knuckles, extra equipment on hot days.

She has to want to make the switch. If there's resistance, don't go there. Most won't automatically assume the leader role and be vocal, that takes work. When you find the right answer, let me know.

Tall is good, but there are all different body types catching at big schools. Like Canocorn said, fast feet & fast hands and top notch knowledge of the game (eventually).

High. During the game you pretty much just have to deal with plays at the plate (a good coach will teach how to do this properly) and hurt fingers from foul tips and ball bounces. Off the field it's your typical shoulder and knee problems. Many, many catchers have knee surgery eventually, some while still in high school/college. Stretch and ice, ice, ice.

The terminology you're looking for here is called "pop time" and it is timed from the pop of the catchers glove when the pitch is received to the pop of the glove at 2B. 12U should be in the 2.00-2.30 range, depending on what year of 12U. By 13/14 years old, she should be under 2 seconds. For late high school and recruiting for college, 1.60-1.75 would be ideal, but some will be ok with the 1.8-1.9.

A great catching coach, the desire, and work ethic are crucial. Good luck!
3Bsnag

by Intel » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:21 am

Must be able to protect the Blue and enjoy talking to the blue.

Let's here from the Blues, what do you like to see in the backstop?

Also, do not let her catch every game. Make sure she can play another position well and when she is going through a major growth, keep her in the non-catching position until she stops growing. Protects the knee until the muscle can support the legiments.
Intel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Coach11 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:04 am

Johnny,

Was in your position 5 yrs. ago. My daughter too was always my 3B, because she was the only one on the team who could make the throw. As she reached the 12U stage, and stealing on the release became part of the game, I put her behind the plate. After recording her first caught stealing, she was hooked.

Aside from the eventual physical ailments a catcher may suffer, I can't think of a negative to becoming one. It's a great (best) way to see and learn the game from a completely different perspective.

Body type means little, although I'd be hesitant to put a frail framed girl behind the dish.

Catcher doesn't have to be a leader....certainly helps....but they will have to be able to be the "quarterback". She'll be taking charge at points throughout the game. She'll need to be able to be vocal, so a wallflower won't work.

I've never been one to rely too heavily on stats such as pop time and the like. If she's getting the throws to the bases before or as the runners she's competing against are getting there, streamlining her mechanics to do so more efficiently will improve her success.

Catchers are typically one of the best all around athletes on the team...the other being the shortstop. So your daughter certainly shouldn't feel as though she's being demoted to catcher.
If she loves the game, she'll love the new position. Whether she remains there throughout her "career" is not as important as how much more of the game she will learn having played the position.
Coach11

by sharktank » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:14 pm

There is a reason why they call the catching gear "The tools of ignorance". It takes a special kid that is willing to strap on the gear and WANT to excel at that position. An occassional foul tip,jammed finger is certain. Most dangerous is the play at the plate and proper positioning. If they position themselves properly, it is a safe play. If they find themselves turned improperly, there is a high risk of injury to a knee which could end their career or cause a major set back. Proper instruction is a must playing at higher competitive levels.

Pro's..... It is a leader position that some people are born with and some have to work at it with time. You are in on every play and strategy. You are constantly involved with the coach going over strategy. The game will not be boring.

Size does not matter. Quickness does!

If you are an excellent receiver and thrower and do all the little things well, the bat does not need to be there. If you can do it all and hit, your ticket is written! MVP status! Coaches dream!

Also, when their playing days are over, there is a future after. Because a catcher is involved so much with the game and has the experience of situations and strategies, they can become themselves excellent coaches. That is why you see so many x-catchers that become coaches and managers in the major leagues.
sharktank

Return to CA