Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

American Pastime 12U Friendly

by hotwheels » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:02 am

Diamond King wrote:I don't have a dog in the fight as our team was not playing in this friendly. But having worked the fields for many friendlies over the years, I think it is more about getting games in for the girls than it is about the money. I think teams should always try to get the games in, if possible. You're already scheduled to play. Although it is frustrating to make a long drive to find out that games are canceled, I think you should always do what you can to try to play.

On several occasions over the years, I can remember driving in the rain to friendly and thinking, "Why have we not been called by the host, yet? There is no way we are going to play." ....Then arrive at the field and see that with great effort from the grounds crew, we were able to play. It is a tough call, but I don't think the host should be blamed for trying. JMO

No
hotwheels

by hotwheels » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:02 am

Under the Radar wrote:And to think I was a little pissed they canceled our friendly right when I finished loading the car at 4:32 PM Sat.

Now, that's funny!
hotwheels

by weekend4trvl » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:07 pm

Learning to play on a wet muddy field takes some practice. The girls missed that opportunity. Throwing a wet ball , judging the hop on wet grass as it skids by you , playing the routine single when it lands in a puddle of water , running wet bases , fielding around the mud puddle...I could go on and on. Those are valuable skills that are rarely practiced. For those coaches that never actually played this game it's a good learning experience for them. When Sally the centerfielder can only throw the wet ball 30' the coach will know why. JMO
weekend4trvl

by hotwheels » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:09 pm

weekend4trvl wrote:Learning to play on a wet muddy field takes some practice. The girls missed that opportunity. Throwing a wet ball , judging the hop on wet grass as it skids by you , playing the routine single when it lands in a puddle of water , running wet bases , fielding around the mud puddle...I could go on and on. Those are valuable skills that are rarely practiced. For those coaches that never actually played this game it's a good learning experience for them. When Sally the centerfielder can only throw the wet ball 30' the coach will know why. JMO

I agree with you but what about playing on ski's?
hotwheels

by BonezMom » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:48 pm

hotwheels wrote:
TShark wrote:We got in a double -header on Saturday, in Riverside :)

Bragger......

Sounds like sour grapes to me... hehehe kidding!! :D
Too bad, so sad, bye bye
BonezMom

by BonezMom » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:50 pm

as the world turns wrote:
TShark wrote:We got in a double -header on Saturday, in Riverside :)

Is Riverside on the dark side of the Moon?

I think that particular field might be
Too bad, so sad, bye bye
BonezMom

by Rich » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:49 pm

"I've been watching the rain thread all weekend with a bit of disbelief. There is not one field in Southern California that is playable after Thursday, Friday and Saturday's rain storms. Most of the friendlies were cancelled by Friday evening."

I too have been reading this thread in disbelief. I have played and continue to play softball both locally and nationally for nearly 30 years now, I have an older DD currently playing college ball, and a have a younger daughter playing travel. Suffice it to say I have been in the "are we playing or not" scenario many times over the last 30 years. It is quite common for some fields in the LA to be rained out while others play. Much of it has to do with the drainage at a particular field and luck. Rain totals do vary from city to city. I can think of many, many occasions over the last 30 years when either me or my DD's were rained out, when others played and vice versa. Only a few weeks ago the HB tournament was played in San Clemente while a No Fear friendly was canceled in LA County, so it happens all of the time. I, for one, am grateful for the time and effort put out by the host parents trying to get those fields ready so that we all could have a chance to play and watch the game we love. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I'm sure those parents had other things to do besides standing out there in the cold and rain trying to get those fields ready.

Try to be a little more positive people!
Rich

by Sftbll4ever » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:54 pm

I think the point is to be realistic. The fields when they got there were under water. You should know how well the fields will drain if they are your home fields. You also pretty much know the day before if there is any chance you will be able to get them ready in time. I think that stringing people a long hoping that it can happen is a lot of wasted time and gas on the teams showing up.

When we are hosting, we know how much work it will take to get the fields ready. If we don't think we can do it with our without rain, we cancel in a very reasonable time frame. I think some thought we might of called ours early (Friday night), but in hindsight, we knew there wasn't anyway to get them dry.
Sftbll4ever

by sportzjunky » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:01 pm

Sftbll4ever wrote:I think the point is to be realistic. The fields when they got there were under water. You should know how well the fields will drain if they are your home fields. You also pretty much know the day before if there is any chance you will be able to get them ready in time. I think that stringing people a long hoping that it can happen is a lot of wasted time and gas on the teams showing up.

When we are hosting, we know how much work it will take to get the fields ready. If we don't think we can do it with our without rain, we cancel in a very reasonable time frame. I think some thought we might of called ours early (Friday night), but in hindsight, we knew there wasn't anyway to get them dry.

For the most part, if it aint ready at sunset the night before during winter, I doubt it will be ready at 8am. I think thats where most decisions can be made. Some fields drain really well but if its mud it wont matter anyways.
The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure.
These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur.
- Vince Lombardi
sportzjunky

by onthejuice » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:10 pm

HUMMMMM! Just checked the TCS Website and it reads "10U, 12U and 14U - City parks and rec say fields will be ready. Games are on as scheduled" (But it's raining right now). Have at it Pastime bashers!!!!
onthejuice

PreviousNext

Return to CA