Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

American Pastime 12U Friendly

by Sftbll4ever » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:11 am

artomatic wrote:this rain is making everyone stir crazy!
I can't imagine what it would be like for you all on the east coast and mid west, having to be stuck indoors for days at a time...

so our friendly's host cancelled today's games on Friday at 5pm. At that time, I was upset that he didn't wait, but I guess he knew what he was doing...
we tried to set things up yesterday and today, only to have the rain wipe things out...

And I agree, although wishful thinking kept your games scheduled, because of the uncertainty, someone really needed to get there at the crack of dawn to assess the fields.
We've had hosts tell everyone to call in at a certain time, and they had a recording on their cell phone stating the time and whether or not games were still going on....

It's got to be tough to host a friendly though.

I'd like to think that your host knew what he was doing? ;)

Oh, and leave me out of this!!! :lol:
Sftbll4ever

by hotwheels » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:17 am

pitcher97mom wrote:ok guys - have to comment. I was one of the parents who was there on Saturday afternoon doing everything in our power to save what we could of the fields. Like No Fear stated, one of the fields was clearly unusable and Terry called the 4 teams affected the night before(BB Ray, No Fear, Valley Breeze & Nemisis). The other 3 fields would have be fine and we were crossing our fingers that the rain gods would be good to us. I personally, got to the field at about 6:15 am (as did others), it was not raining at that time (though it was on our drive out there). We started working the fields but come about 7:00am the rain started coming, first lightly then harder and harder. Coaches were hoping that it would be a quick drizzle. No such luck, so finally the call to cancel was made. I know that we were really looking forward to some softball after having last weekend off and we really were doing all we could to have that happen for everyone. We did not want to disappoint anyone and if we had not been able to work the fields the day before and give an honest assessment of what we thought we could accomplish (Mother Nature had different ideas), we would have cancelled the night before. Maybe we are a little die hard but our girls love playing and we were doing all we could to have that happen for all teams. A lot of time and effort on our side trying to get it to happen. A big thanks to the Pastime parents - a couple of them had to make 30 breakfast burritos each along with everything else the parents had to bring and do. Its the way of travel ball!!! :oops:

Congratulations on completely wasting your time......By the way, I saw those fields on Sunday morning when I arrived because we were never notified and only found out when we arrived at 7:30 a.m. and your statement that those fields would have been fine is a lie.....I saw them myself and those fields need a couple warm days to dry.....Would've been dangerous and you know it to make a few hundred dollars just not worth it.....You made a bad decision just let it be and move on. Don't come on here looking for congratulations that you wasted your time working on fields in the rain so we can play in the rain....Sorry!
hotwheels

by TShark » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:33 am

We got in a double -header on Saturday, in Riverside :)
TShark

by hotwheels » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:40 am

TShark wrote:We got in a double -header on Saturday, in Riverside :)

Bragger......
hotwheels

by Luv_SC » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:51 am

I quite frankly am a little pissed cause I am one of the parents who showed up at 7:20AM. I had to leave home at 6:15 to make it and did. Got gas on the way and as we were driving there was quite alot of rain. It wasnt till we got on the 10 freeway that we got word it was cancelled. Mind you a teammate lives close to the area and said it had been pouring the night before. I dont blame our manager he was told the games were on so we had no choice but to show up for our game, that was scheduled at 8:30 the place was so wet I doubt there will be any games for a week. They could have easily saved me money, sleep and time by just canceling the games. I have ran friedlies before and know its your one chance for income but still not fair to the teams that have to travel far. I heard of lots of cancellations so why think this one field would be spared.
Luv_SC

by hotwheels » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:09 am

Luv_SC wrote:I quite frankly am a little pissed cause I am one of the parents who showed up at 7:20AM. I had to leave home at 6:15 to make it and did. Got gas on the way and as we were driving there was quite alot of rain. It wasnt till we got on the 10 freeway that we got word it was cancelled. Mind you a teammate lives close to the area and said it had been pouring the night before. I dont blame our manager he was told the games were on so we had no choice but to show up for our game, that was scheduled at 8:30 the place was so wet I doubt there will be any games for a week. They could have easily saved me money, sleep and time by just canceling the games. I have ran friedlies before and know its your one chance for income but still not fair to the teams that have to travel far. I heard of lots of cancellations so why think this one field would be spared.

Thank you!
hotwheels

by ocdad » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:25 am

I think looking at the weather forecast would have helped a lot in the planning. I was looking at every weather website & news available about whether it was going to rain or not on Saturday and more importantly Sunday. I know you can't always trust the weather people, but when they are predicting 70% on Saturday (1/2 inch) & 60% on Sunday (1/4 inch), you have to think the odds are not in your favor. I know the umpires usually charge 1 game if you don't cancel the night before, so it sounds like instead of raising money it probably cost them money.

I would have to think with 3 days of consistent raining that the ground had to be saturated with water and that was why we just cancelled our scheduled friendlies on Friday after it started to rain heavy.

I know I would have been more than a little upset if I had to drive out for an 8:00 am start time just for someone to tell me sorry, we couldn't get the fields ready after all. :evil: It is not that often that we get days off, because I am sure scheduled off days will now have a practice in there due to rained out days.
ocdad

by as the world turns » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:43 am

TShark wrote:We got in a double -header on Saturday, in Riverside :)

Is Riverside on the dark side of the Moon?
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by Diamond King » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:51 am

I don't have a dog in the fight as our team was not playing in this friendly. But having worked the fields for many friendlies over the years, I think it is more about getting games in for the girls than it is about the money. I think teams should always try to get the games in, if possible. You're already scheduled to play. Although it is frustrating to make a long drive to find out that games are canceled, I think you should always do what you can to try to play.

On several occasions over the years, I can remember driving in the rain to friendly and thinking, "Why have we not been called by the host, yet? There is no way we are going to play." ....Then arrive at the field and see that with great effort from the grounds crew, we were able to play. It is a tough call, but I don't think the host should be blamed for trying. JMO
Diamond King

by Under the Radar » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:56 am

And to think I was a little pissed they canceled our friendly right when I finished loading the car at 4:32 PM Sat.
Under the Radar
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to CA