Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Burn Out

by almosthuman » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:09 pm

Who cares if they burn out? What does burn out keep them from? "It is better to burn out than fade away!"
almosthuman

by Clean_up » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:47 am

Our team (12U) gives the girls one Sunday a month off and in some cases an entire weekend
(Easter, 4th July, etc), depends on upcoming tournaments, etc. We also schedule a couple team parties, pool parties, Knotts Berry Farm, Movie nights during the Spring/Summer to keep the team bonding and also giving them a break.

I also think playing a second sport, like Volley Ball in HS during the Winter, keeps them conditioned but not 100% focused on just softball. If the athlete is strong, this won't be too much of a negative on TB team or HS Softball tryouts, again the volleyball season is Fall/Winter and most HS coaches know some good players will be participating in another sport.
Clean_up

by Skarp » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:07 pm

Empire United wrote:I think it is important to be cognizant of what burn-out really is. Burn out isn't working too hard, burn-out isn't "being tired". Burn-out is the actual or perceived realization that the effort they are putting into something, beit sports, professional life/work, or otherwise, wasn't worth the outcome. What they have left in their hand doesn't weigh equally to what they put into what is in their hand in the first place. That is burn-out.

Good working definition. Which is why arbitrarily imposed time off makes no sense either. As long as the activity is worthwhile to her, why limit her involvement?
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Clean_up » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:55 pm

Skarp wrote:
Empire United wrote:I think it is important to be cognizant of what burn-out really is. Burn out isn't working too hard, burn-out isn't "being tired". Burn-out is the actual or perceived realization that the effort they are putting into something, beit sports, professional life/work, or otherwise, wasn't worth the outcome. What they have left in their hand doesn't weigh equally to what they put into what is in their hand in the first place. That is burn-out.

Good working definition. Which is why arbitrarily imposed time off makes no sense either. As long as the activity is worthwhile to her, why limit her involvement?

I don't think limiting involvement is a solution, but providing a mixture of other activities may prevent the feeling of "effort not worth the outcome". Sacraficing a large portion of their social life is a major part of playing this sport; however, if you are able to provide a reasonable amount of healthy social activity, small breaks during the season, etc., IMO it will help create enough balance to keep them loving the game.
Clean_up

Previous

Return to CA