Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Softball in San Diego

by anonlooker » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:15 pm

The Academy is about making money. It's a business. Their job isn't to pre-screen potential customers, their job is to convince Daddy that Suzie Q is ready to make the jump to the Big Time! And their job is easy because that's exactly what Daddy and Suzie want to hear. :roll:
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by Play ball » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:08 pm

ice_67 wrote:Rumor has it that Nikki Starry is pulling out of the Academy. Any thruth to it?

As I said earlier, I am in the area... but I have not heard anything. I do know that the Academy was scheduled to have a friendly this weekend up at the Sportsplex. However, on the their website calendar it has just been changed to a "clinic" given by Nicki Starry. The interesting this is that it also notes that this is not sanctioned by the Academy organization??? Seems odd since she is the President of the Academy and it IS posted on their website???

Sunday, March 8 2009
Future Stars Softball Clinic: Mar 8, 2009 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Softball Clinic for tee-ball through 12U presented by Starry Softball Lessons (Note: This is not an Academy-sanctioned event)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poway Sportsplex
Play ball

by bn2themountain » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:40 pm

Play ball wrote:
ice_67 wrote:Rumor has it that Nikki Starry is pulling out of the Academy. Any thruth to it?

As I said earlier, I am in the area... but I have not heard anything. I do know that the Academy was scheduled to have a friendly this weekend up at the Sportsplex. However, on the their website calendar it has just been changed to a "clinic" given by Nicki Starry. The interesting this is that it also notes that this is not sanctioned by the Academy organization??? Seems odd since she is the President of the Academy and it IS posted on their website???

Sunday, March 8 2009
Future Stars Softball Clinic: Mar 8, 2009 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Softball Clinic for tee-ball through 12U presented by Starry Softball Lessons (Note: This is not an Academy-sanctioned event)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poway Sportsplex

Looks like she has another business (Starry Softball Lessons) that is seperate from Academy.
bn2themountain

by 3 blind mice » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:05 pm

It seems strange to me that the Academy owner isn't responding to defend herself. Maybe she is just thrilled to be getting the type, who knows. I heard secondhand that she attended the opening day of the rec league and was trying to recruit girls to come to her "clinics". if anyone saw the girls that she has had since August or September, they would not be very confident in her teaching abilities, still look like average rec girls to me, just rec girls whose mommy and daddy apparently have money to throw away. i wonder how successful her high school teams have been?
3 blind mice

by hotwheels » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:00 am

bugs wrote:Great post by Play Ball. I think Hot Wheels misses the point a little in that you are not in the area. I am guessing Play Ball is from the Rec League that just got devastated by the Academy. The Academy took many players from one Rec League, not sure how but I am guessing that both groups are from the same area. As Play Ball said, the Academy took players that normally would have stayed and made for a great Rec League.

Certainly as Hotwheels say, it the parents choice. But maybe if the Academy had seen or been more aware that some of these players did need a little more seasoning and left them in Rec Ball both the Academy and the Rec League could have have functioned together and worked together rather than creating a rift.

Excuse me for asking.....What the hell are you talking about?....I didn't miss the point at all.....My point was just to get over it and stop crying about it.....Trust me, the Academy knew exactly what type of player they were getting.....What, do you think they were surprised to see that some players just weren't good? What does it matter that I'm not in the San Diego area?......This stuff happens in ALMOST every city with rec and travel....Trust me......Travel and rec can only function together when rec people stop resenting travel ball people for being in travel and when travel ball people stop treating rec people like they aren't good enough.....They can be successfull working together if done right but those 2 things must happen first.....We have a good situation where I am here in Corona with rec and travel working together.....
hotwheels

by ice_67 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:01 am

3 blind mice wrote: i wonder how successful her high school teams have been?

I believe that is a moot point now.
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

by Play ball » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:31 am

anonlooker wrote:The Academy is about making money. It's a business. :roll:

Very good abreviated version of my point! We, at this rec organization, do not have a problem with TB. From our rec point of view, the good TB teams self-regulate and only take the players that are good enough to contribute to their teams. If a player is talented enough to make a quaility TB team, they have probably outgrown the rec level...simple as that.
IMO...pay to play is more about $$$$ than the kids and I do have a problem with that!

Just curious...are there many pay to play organizations north of San Diego? If so, does it work yes/no?
Play ball

by 3 blind mice » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:30 pm

the high school team that I was referring to is the one she coaches currently, not the one she played on.
3 blind mice

by ice_67 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:36 pm

3 blind mice wrote:the high school team that I was referring to is the one she coaches currently, not the one she played on.

I heard she doesn't coach high school anymore. At least not Rancho Bernardo JV.
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

by bn2themountain » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:39 am

Taking a break from Academy for a moment. Where in the heck is TNL 96/97 12U ? I see their name pop up here and there but not consistently.
bn2themountain

PreviousNext

Return to CA