Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Softball in San Diego

by Play ball » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:11 am

4sandiegans wrote:I am one of the infamous Academy Parents. As they say: "I didn't know I had a problem" until I saw this post. Yes, my daughter isn't good enough to play for the Crunch, and I pay for my daughter to play TB, but I am ok with that. That being said, our local fall recreational league is pretty weak and my daughter wanted to get better so she could compete for All Stars "catcher" this summer. Throwing down to a statue on 2nd base isn't going to help her get better. I liked the parents/players at Academy and thought WTF, one season won't hurt anybody.
I have spent some time around disfunctional coaching situations as a youth and WILL NOT subject my kids to that. This group of TB girls are very close, and the parents get along as well. We have developed a close knit group that genuinely enjoys getting together. After one 2nd place finish this winter, the coaches gave a heartfelt speech that had all of us hugging and crying afterward. We may not be blowing away those of you who are observing but we don't care. My daughter is having fun and in these developmental years she has friends who are like minded and who I don't object to having around. My daughter has fun, she is competitive, and we win some games! As the parent of a slightly above average player I am happy if my daughter is happy. "Daddy, I threw out a girl at 2nd" is a reason for ice cream with the family. Now when we play spring recreational ball my daughter says "daddy, that girl doesn't throw as hard as the girl from the crunch" and goes to bat with determination! From where I stand, that is "good enough for me"!
Just my opinion
J

You mentioned that you had joined TB so your daughter might have a better chance of making the all star team this summer. Have you informed your travel team that you must quit after March 31st.? As per ASA rules...If you participate in any way shape or form with a travel team, after March 31st, your daughter will NOT be eligible to play all-stars for her rec league. Were you aware of this rule?
Play ball

by 4sandiegans » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:28 am

Yes, thank you,
Our rec. league made it very clear Mar 31 is drop dead. Our TB is disbanding at that time. Will revisit the topic this fall. Dont know yet. Thanks for the heads up.
J
America's Finest City
4sandiegans

by Play ball » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:36 am

4sandiegans wrote:Yes, thank you,
Our rec. league made it very clear Mar 31 is drop dead. Our TB is disbanding at that time. Will revisit the topic this fall. Dont know yet. Thanks for the heads up.
J

Is the whole Academy organization disbanding...or just your age group? If it's just your DD's group, what age?
Play ball

by 4sandiegans » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:45 am

Only the 10U's are disbanding. All of the players are in spring rec. and hope to make all stars.
America's Finest City
4sandiegans

by Play ball » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:53 am

4sandiegans wrote:Only the 10U's are disbanding. All of the players are in spring rec. and hope to make all stars.

Thanks for the reply. The reason I asked was because there is another rule that may apply here. On top of the March 31st deadline...ASA also states that no more than 4 players, that have participated in TB after Feb 1st., can be on the same rec all star team. This might not be an issue...just depends on how spread out the TB players are amongst the local rec leagues.
Play ball

by 4sandiegans » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:42 pm

Fortunately our rec. division director made us aware of that rule in early January and we shared it with everyone on the TB team. Thank you for the heads up though!
J
America's Finest City
4sandiegans

by 4sandiegans » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:23 am

We play in our "final" friendly tournament this sunday and thanks to this forum and its informal ranking system I plan to try to motivate our girls by sharing the rankings of the 3 teams we face on Sunday in Chino,CA. My daughter is excited to try to beat one of the top 10 teams in SoCal. Our undefeated Rec. team plays the other undefeated Rec. team (coached by last years All Star Coach) on Saturday for league supremacy, and on Sunday we travel to our last TB tournament and play three top-10 teams! How exciting for me! No wait, I mean how exciting for my daughter. Almost makes me forget the NCAA tournament, almost! Lots of fun living vicariously through my kids! If I warm up the pitchers does that make me a TB bullpen catcher?
1 family having fun in spite of myself!
J
America's Finest City
4sandiegans

by easyout » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:38 am

It is nice to hear your DD is having fun that is what this is about to many people think there DD is the next Lisa Fernandez. Good luck to your team this weekend.
easyout

Previous

Return to CA