Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Top 10 16u Teams as of now

by DirkDiggler » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:49 pm

Submit your thoughts on the top 10 16u teams in southern Ca as of now
DirkDiggler

by Demonboy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:53 pm

All the one's I saw this fall looked varying degrees of awful. The division very suddenly started to show signs of death in So Cal last year. Very weak compared to the strong years of 2005 - 2007
Last edited by Demonboy on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by dodgerblue » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:55 pm

The best 16U team was probably a 14U team. :D
dodgerblue

by Slappersdad » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:42 pm

Come on now.
In no particular order in So Cal:
Angels (Howard, I think)
OC Batbusters (Myers)
Hurricanes
Firecrackers (Jackson)
Fury (Goodacre)
Victory (Guerra)
So Cal Athletics (Ginnis)
Team Smith (Sandoval)

Just to name some. Very strong teams that have played a lot in 18's throughout fall. I believe that most of them if not all will be playing at 16 states. Older 14's are very good but just not as mature, strong or smart when June rolls around.
JMHO
Slappersdad

by NorCal LVer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:29 pm

Demonboy wrote:All the one's I saw this fall looked varying degrees of awful. The division very suddenly started to show signs of death in So Cal last year. Very weak compared to the strong years of 2005 - 2007

In the biggest recruiting tourney last year (16U Nationals), only (2) So Cal teams finished in top 16. No teams in the top 16 at 18U Nationals. OK, (4) placed in top (12) at Gold – not bad.. But no 1st place trophies at 16’s or 18’s in 2008.

Teams catching up, or is the good talent getting peanut buttered across after 14U?
NorCal LVer

by Demonboy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:42 pm

NorCal LVer wrote:
Demonboy wrote:All the one's I saw this fall looked varying degrees of awful. The division very suddenly started to show signs of death in So Cal last year. Very weak compared to the strong years of 2005 - 2007

In the biggest recruiting tourney last year (16U Nationals), only (2) So Cal teams finished in top 16. No teams in the top 16 at 18U Nationals. OK, (4) placed in top (12) at Gold – not bad.. But no 1st place trophies at 16’s or 18’s in 2008.

Teams catching up, or is the good talent getting peanut buttered across after 14U?

Both. But the Teams catching up is nothing new. They were this good a couple years ago.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by NORCALGOLD » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:10 pm

There are some really good 16u teams out there,But it is hard to track them in fallball .Because they are mostly playing up and in showcase games.They usualy don't start facing each other till after High School ball.It is not like the younger age groups that are at it full throttle early on.
I still think that So Cal players under estimate the power of ASA 16u Nationals as a recruiting tool.I have seen an incrediable amount of college coaches at 16u and no where else are they as focused on the younger talent than at 16u nationals.If you want your kid to be seen as a 8th or 9th even 10th grade there is no better time.Unlike the 18gold showcases were as a 16 team you will be no where near the good fields or top teams an you will be lucky to see a coach or two at your games.I have seen other states bring older 16's teams with some very good players on their roster to nationals and do very well against what seems to be mostly younger so cal teams.These older teams end up playing late ninto Sat. and sunday and are seen by alot of college coaches.
Maybe with the limited amount of gold teams this year some of these so cal xgold teams will play 16's and will see what a good age bracket 16 is.
NORCALGOLD

by Slappersdad » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:58 am

I would have to agree with the high level of exposure at 16's nationals. My DD's teams is doing just that. They are focusing on just 16's after high school is done. There are few programs this year doing the same here in So Cal. Solid first and second year 16U players should try to get seen and make a name for the team and the player once they get to nationals. At some point you wonder when the 18A's will set their programs up to be focused on. Lets face it, most of the Gold programs have signed players. 18A's should mostly be those juniors and seniors trying to find some sort of ride. 18A's don't get much exposure during nationals at this point but that's the level that really needs it.
Slappersdad

by NORCALGOLD » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:50 pm

I think 16u is a much better way to go than playing for a average or below average gold team that has little to no connections to college coaches or never plays on the good fields in showcases.I would rather have my DD on a 16u team that has a good chance to qualify for nationals.Than a medium to weak 18gold team or any 18A team.
The 16u Hall of Fame tournament had alot of college coaches there also.
And (dodgerblue)as far as 14u team being better you must be joking or you have never been to ASA16 nationals they would not fair well against most of the teams I have seen.
NORCALGOLD

by dodgerblue » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:30 pm

Don't be so sensitive nocal gold :( . Didn't you see the happy face? next time I'll say I'm just kidding that way I don't hurt anybody's feelings.
dodgerblue

Next

Return to CA