Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

10u Teams In OC CA

by Brian H » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:10 am

I am looking to find out what teams exist in Orange County CA for 10u. I am looking to find something better for my daughter than the reck ball she is currently in. She is currently 8 and will be moving up to 10u and I was looking to try and figure out if there was anything available around this area. Looking for information on how to find teams, clinics, coaches etc to see if she is ready. If you can provide any information or have any information on how to search for available 10u teams I would appreciate it, thank you
Brian H

by jefe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:42 am

isnt she playing all stars in reck at this point for the end of the season?

a good way to start getting connected may be to join this...

viewtopic.php?f=198&t=23760
jefe

by Brian H » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:23 am

Thank you for your respnses. She made all stars at 7 last year and she will be asked for this year but our season is not over as of yet. I will post in the CA section and have looked in the looking for players area. I appreciate your information and will continue to look. Have a nice afternoon
Brian H

by artomatic » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:36 am

I hope you can take the following advice with an open mind, from someone who has gone through this twice. I promise I am not being condescending.

Even if your kid is way above the other 8 year olds, try to stay in rec until you are done with 10's, and then move to travel in 1st year 12's.
Maybe she can play up a division, if she is that superior to other players her age.
If your league isn't a strong league, maybe there are neighboring cities with stronger rec leagues. There are a ton of strong rec programs in Orange County/LA county.

Let her be an 8 yr old, let her be the star, let her play with her friends, have weekends free for parties, events, etc.
Once she moves to travel, alot of her free time will be gone.
She will play most weekends, and add to that lessons, practices, etc during the week.

Although there are 10u travel teams, 12's is a big starting point for the move from rec to travel in socal. If she is good and loves to play, she won't be behind if you wait until 12's.
In the meantime, start researching teams, and go out and watch them play. You can find out alot by just sitting in the stands and watching how the coaches work, how the parents act, and how the girls play.

JMHO, and good luck with whatever choice you make.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Spoken Word » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:55 am

Good points Arto!! But my kids thought rec was boring. Every kid is different you have to let them decide and be able to accept their choices !!! Main point here is BALANCE !! WORD

JMO !!!!!!!
Spoken Word

by dodgerblue » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:25 am

To be honest I would stay in Rec till she's done with 10's. 10U travelball should not exist in my eye's because at that age they need to be having fun.
dodgerblue

by JustWondering » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:36 am

My Daughter hated rec ball. She hated other girls not making routine plays. Played 1 weekend in travel and was done with rec forever. Seemed like it was not fun until She got into travel and played with other Girls who loved the game as much as She did.
JustWondering

by Love the game » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:47 am

Moving to Travel ball is always a debate. For me rec ball was driving me crazy. Horrible coaching. Everyone good left to travel ball including the coaches. Travel ball now is not the same as 4 years ago. Same with Rec ball. A lot more players jump to travel early leaving rec with nothing. So we did it to keep the girls playing with girls that could play. But my oldest DD I waited till second year 12's when she first made the move. But that was 4 years ago.

As for 10u teams, If you want to make the jump before All Stars plan on traveling to Reno for a week in the end of July. The 3 better 2001 teams are Gamers 2001- out of Temecula, Corona Angels 2001- Out of corona or Chino hills, Dynasty 2001- out of Fullerton area: Not sure if they are looking for players but those are the teams to look at if your daughter is really good. At this point she has to be a stud to get picked up.

Good luck
Love the game

by Brian H » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:44 pm

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and assistance. We have been through this already once with our olderst one and we waited until 12's to move to travel ball and that was our origional plan with our youngest kids. The issue is the league play, coaching and even the umpiring in rec ball is bad. The boards are out there for their own daughters and even the All Star teams are corrupted with their decission making. We have witnessed and seen some of the worst decission making since coming back to softball than all the years past with our oldest. I think that the travel ball teams are diluted a little but at least the umpiring, parrents and coaches are a huge step in the right direction. This past season has been almost a complete wash and has taken up so much of my families time that I do not want to spend too much time coaching my own daughter on our days off, as I feel she needs this time to be a kid. In any case I will check out some of the local teams and tournaments and thought I would start here. Thank you again for your thoughts and input and good luck to your daughters and kids!
Brian H

by Fastpitch4Life » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:34 am

I'm a little surprised that you are so down on OC rec ball, which traditionally has some of the most competitive rec leagues in So Cal. I would recommend that your DD spend at least one year in 10U in a competitive rec league (move to another league if you have to) before she attempts to tryout with an established 10U team. Even in rec, the difference between 8U and 10U is substantial in competitive leagues. It is very common for rec league boards to be blamed for everything from all-star selections to manager/coach decisions. You may find that you 8 year old will see some better competition in 10U.
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to CA