Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Can High school players play rec ball?

by Softbald Dad » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:25 pm

Can High school players play rec ball and still be eligible for Rec All Stars and High school CIF? I know Travelball teams must go dark but I can't find the rules regarding rec ball.

Thanks for your help.
Softbald Dad

by SoCalASABlue » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:16 pm

According to coachEd under the "when do teams go dark" thread:

"That may depend on the CIF section. Southern Section Blue Book states:

During Individual’s Season of Sport - A member of a high school softball team may not, during his or her season of sport, compete for an outside team in the sport of softball. A season of sport (See Bylaw 511) is defined as that period which begins with a student’s first interscholastic competition (non-league, tournament or league game) and ends with that student’s last interscholastic contest (non-league, tournament, league or CIF Southern Section playoff).

The first scrimmage cant be before Feb 26th and first games cant be before March 4th. Whether a scrimmage is considered "an interscholastic contest" has been debated for years. But to be on the safe side, I would say (for CIF Southern Section), you cant play in travel ball games on or after Feb 26th. Some sections allow girls to still practice with their travel ball teams and some teams do practice on Sundays since the HS are not permitted to do softball on Sundays."

According to this, CIF rules does not appear to differentiate between travel and rec ball so the answer appears to be "no".
SoCalASABlue

by 4th & Forever » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:08 pm

The above is correct. No High School and outside league or club team at the same time. Once your school is completed w/ CIF play you can resume with your travel or rec. ball.

Now as far as rec. All-stars go. The last time I looked up the rule "a couple of years ago". a All-star team can take up to 4 returning high school players back to the 14u division and be eligable as long as they are "registered" with the league by April 1st. Now there was some discrepency in the actual number of games they need to play in the regular season of the league to be eligable. One rule said seven. The yellow book I think just said registered.

Best suggestion is go onto ASA's website look at yellow book tab for All-star eligability rules but CIF is pretty clear.
4th & Forever
Premium Member
Premium Member

by coachEd » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:18 pm

Well, oddly enough, despite the CIF rule, I have seen girls play HS ball on a Frosh/Soph team and also play 14u Rec ball at the same time. I dont know what the CIF ineligibility repercussions are if they play HS and rec ball, but from what I had "heard", it doesnt really matter as long as the kid is not playing varsity. Meaning that the varsity team wont have to forfeit any games because someone on a Frosh/Soph team was playing rec ball, and nobody really counts JV or Frosh/Soph games anyway. I cant give any official ruling on this situation, but the foregoing is simply what actually transpired. Those girls did end up playing rec all-stars since they met the ASA eligibility requirements of being registered by April 1st and playing 1/2 the season's rec ball games.
coachEd

by CrushersDad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:59 pm

coachEd wrote:Well, oddly enough, despite the CIF rule, I have seen girls play HS ball on a Frosh/Soph team and also play 14u Rec ball at the same time. I dont know what the CIF ineligibility repercussions are if they play HS and rec ball, but from what I had "heard", it doesnt really matter as long as the kid is not playing varsity. Meaning that the varsity team wont have to forfeit any games because someone on a Frosh/Soph team was playing rec ball, and nobody really counts JV or Frosh/Soph games anyway. I cant give any official ruling on this situation, but the foregoing is simply what actually transpired. Those girls did end up playing rec all-stars since they met the ASA eligibility requirements of being registered by April 1st and playing 1/2 the season's rec ball games.

I don't know about you, but I doubt any player/parent would want to take the chance....
CrushersDad

by SoCalASABlue » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:14 pm

CrushersDad wrote:
coachEd wrote:Well, oddly enough, despite the CIF rule, I have seen girls play HS ball on a Frosh/Soph team and also play 14u Rec ball at the same time. I dont know what the CIF ineligibility repercussions are if they play HS and rec ball, but from what I had "heard", it doesnt really matter as long as the kid is not playing varsity. Meaning that the varsity team wont have to forfeit any games because someone on a Frosh/Soph team was playing rec ball, and nobody really counts JV or Frosh/Soph games anyway. I cant give any official ruling on this situation, but the foregoing is simply what actually transpired. Those girls did end up playing rec all-stars since they met the ASA eligibility requirements of being registered by April 1st and playing 1/2 the season's rec ball games.

I don't know about you, but I doubt any player/parent would want to take the chance....

Unless you have a league Board president that is looking to build a legacy, in which case rules and fair play are burdens to be overcome... :mrgreen:
SoCalASABlue

by pqcoach97 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:48 pm

Check with your ASA District commissioner. Many districts consider HS part of ASA Rec, therefore you meet the games played requirements. You must have played in the Rec league the previous year and be registered by April 1st.

JV and Frosh/Soph are not covered by the restriction, but you now become ineligible to be called up to Varsity for CIF. One JV Coach lost his job a couple years ago because he took his team to play in an ASA tournament, making the entire team ineligible to be called up. I would strongly reccommend against playing both. Wait until HS is over, then come back for all stars if you aren't playing travel.

When in doubt, ask your commisioner and your HS coach.
pqcoach97

by albertwilson » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:46 am

albertwilson

by Tntcoachtom » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:15 am

Straight from the 2016-2017 CIF Southern Section Rule Book. Sandiego has its own book and doesn't even allow chalk talks.
Attachments
image.jpeg
The penalties
image.jpeg
The rule applies to all levels of competition
Tntcoachtom

Return to CA