Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Youth Softball: Why You Should Play Rec League

by lvtwft » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:33 am

Is this true?? They going dark part of travel ball teams in So-Cal..

Youth Softball: Why You Should Play Rec League
Playing Down to Rec League Softball
by Don McKay
BellaOnline's Softball Editor

Here in Southern California, many 14U, 12U, and 10U travel ball teams “go dark”, or cease operations, from the beginning of April to July, so that their players may participate in Recreation League All-Stars (ASA rules require any player playing in Rec League All-Stars to not play travel ball after 31 March). A lot of the big Rec League programs’ All-Star teams are teams that stay together through Travel Ball season and then move down to the Rec League for a couple of months. Otherwise, players and parents tend to have a “Rec League is a waste of time” attitude and either find a travel ball team that continues play during Rec League All-Stars or take the couple of months off. In my opinion, this is a mistake.

If a player is getting burnt out on Softball and needs to take a couple of months off to recharge, then she should do so. However, even the most accomplished travel ball player can gain valuable life experiences from Rec League play. It is very possible that she may be pushed outside of her comfort zone and therefore grow mentally and emotionally.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"
Albert Einstein
lvtwft

by artomatic » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:42 am

I've seen it happen in 10u only.
I think rec is great to learn the game and have fun.
If you progress to where you aren't being tested, then it's time to go to the next level, if that's what you want.
My own personal opinion is 10u is too young to make that commitment to the travel schedule.
My kid played through 10's, in a very competitive rec league in OC.
The move to travel in 1st year 12's went well, and I was lucky to have a few mentors and many who helped us out.

I've also never understood the "travel vs rec" attitude.
Everyone has to start in rec, at least in socal.
Why put it down, it's an avenue for girls to play softball.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by HIGHNTIGHT » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:53 am

I don't remember exactly how it works but I think the rec Allstar team is limited to 4 travel ball players who participate in any form of travel ball after January. Is there anything related to the game that can be learned by returning to rec ball ?
HIGHNTIGHT

by Coffeequeen » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:43 am

I don't see this happening but maybe 1 or 2 players in 10U. Travel ball teams going dark from April to July...IMHO that is our "primetime" in travel ball.
Coffeequeen

by bruinfans » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:29 am

There are some All Star teams here in SoCal that will play travel together during the fall season, and then return to their rec leagues in the spring.

Some girls do keep playing both up until the time they have to make a decision about playing All Stars, but I think it is true that there is a limit on the number of girls per team who played travel after January that can be on a rec league all star team, at least in So Cal B rec ball.
"Sports do not build character, they reveal it" John Wooden[/i]
bruinfans

by Imperial SB Dad » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:10 am

Below is the section of the ASA Yellow book that pertains to All Star eligibility.

III. ELIGIBILITY POLICIES AND PROCEDURES:
A. Recreation League All-Star Eligibility:
1. All 10U, 12U and 14U players participating within the league must be individually
registered with ASA by April 1st of the current season.
2. All team staff (manager/coaches) will be individually registered with proof of
background check.
B. League Team Eligibility:
1. Team rosters may include up to 17 players.
2. Three (3) pick-up players from the team's league are allowed AFTER the District
Tournament. Pick-up players must meet all player eligibility rules in (D. Pickup
Player).
3. Teams may be a single league team or All-Star team as selected and certified by the
league.
a. If the league selects an All-Star team, the All-Star team shall NOT tryout,
select, practice and/or play together before May 1st of the current
season.
b. If the league selects a single league team, or the majority of players
from a single team, this team must meet the requirements in II.A.
above.
Note: A pre-season or mid-season team, selected tournament team is not eligible.
4. Teams shall not have any players who have participated on a travel type team after
March 31st.
5. Teams shall not have more than four (4) players who have participated with a travel
type team at any time after January 1st of the current year.
6. Teams that participate in ASA ‘A’ or GOLD qualifying events, or non-ASA
qualifying events, will not be eligible to participate in ‘B’ Championship
Tournaments.
C. Player Eligibility:
1. Players must play a minimum of 50% of the current seasons’ league games.
2. Any High School participant is eligible to return to the league that they participated in
during the previous calendar year. The All-Star team must have a minimum of (7) seven
players who participated within the league during the current year. All players must be
registered within the league by April 1st of the current season.
3. Players who have played in a higher league age classification during the current season
are eligible to play in their correct age classification.
4. Players who have played on a school team or other recreational league team after March
31st of the current season are eligible to play if all other eligibility guidelines are
followed. Players that participate in two ASA recreational leagues must declare by April
15th which league they wish to be eligible for All-Star selection
5. Players who have participated on a team other than their own recreation league teams
after March 31st of the current season are not eligible; (i.e. a player shall not participate
with any other All-Star or travel type team, including ASA and non-ASA after March
31st) except as provided in paragraph 4 above. Exception: For leagues that have more
than one post-season team within an age group. Within the same league, a number one
All-Star team may pull from the number two team with the approval of the appropriate
District Commissioner. Once the player is moved, she is locked to that team, until the
team has completed Championship play.
NOTE: "Participate" in the above shall be defined as ~~A PLAYER TAKING
PART IN A TRY-OUT, PRACTICE, PRACTICE GAME, SCHEDULED GAME
OR TOURNAMENT.
6. Players SHALL NOT play on more than one team in ASA Championship competition
during the same season except as a pick-up player.
D. League "Pick-up" Players: (See also ASA National Code):
1. ‘B’ All-Star pick-up players shall meet all player eligibility rules in this section.
2. A player can only be a pick-up player once per season.
3. ‘B’ All-Star players whose teams are no longer eligible for Championship competition
are eligible as pick-up players as set forth in the ASA National Code.
4. Pick-up players must have played on a So Cal ASA registered team during the current
season.
5. Pick-up players, after District and prior to All-Star Championships, must come from
within their own league. Beyond All-Star Championships, pick-up players may come
from within the Southern California Association within the same or lower age
classification.
E. ‘B’ 16-Under / 18-Under Teams: The purpose of the Southern California 16-U/18-U
classification is to provide competition and championship tournaments for players who are
not Junior Olympic ‘A’ caliber at this time. It provides a summer program that addresses the
needs of players who are of high school age and wish to increase their skills to benefit their
league, their high school team, and themselves.
1. ‘B’ 16-Under / 18-Under Team Eligibility
a. Team must be registered by June 1st, with a minimum of five (5) players being
individually registered. A minimum of nine (9) players must be individually
registered by June 30th. All rostered players must be individually registered prior
to the start of Championship Play.
b. Team rosters may include 20 players including pick-ups.
c. Teams shall be composed of players meeting all player eligibility requirements.
d. Teams may be a single team or All-Star team as selected and certified by the
league.
1. The team shall not be selected, practice or play together before May 1st of
the current season.
2. If only one regular season team is in the league then that team shall be the
All-Star Team and must meet the requirements in II.A. above.
Note: A pre-season or mid-season team, selected tournament team is not eligible.
e. Teams shall not have any players who have participated on a travel type team
after March 31st.
f. Teams shall not have more than four (4) players who have participated with a
travel type team at any time after January 1st of the current year.
g. No more than five (5) high schools shall be represented on any one team.
h. Teams may participate in ‘A’ or ‘B’ level INVITATIONAL tournaments after
May 1st, but run the risk of being reclassified. (Reclassification may be appealed
to the Jr. Olympic Commissioner)
i. Teams that participate in ASA ‘A’ or GOLD qualifying events, or non-ASA
qualifying events, will not be eligible to participate in ‘B’ 16U/18U
Championship Tournaments.
j. Teams competing in ASA Championship Play shall abide by the ASA Codes
pertaining to Championship Play and all policies outlined on the back of Official
‘B’ Championship Roster.
k. Players who pitched at the varsity level may pitch in this division unless the
District Commissioner reclassifies her as above ‘B’ level of play. NOTE: The
decision of the District Commissioner may be appealed to the Jr. Olympic
Commissioner for Recreation.
2. ‘B’ 16-Under / 18-Under Player Eligibility
a. Players shall be age eligible pursuant to ASA National Code.
b. Players who participate on an intercollegiate softball team at a two or four year
college or university are NOT eligible to participate in the Junior Olympic ’B’
tournaments.
c. Players shall not be on two regular season rosters, i.e.: she cannot be rostered on a
‘B’ 16-Under / 18-Under (High School) Division team and an ‘A’ travel team
during the same season.
d. Players are eligible to be picked-up by an ASA ‘A’ travel team only after their
team is no longer eligible for Championship Play.
3. ‘B’ 16-Under / 18-Under "Pick-up" Players (see also ASA National Code)
a. ‘B’ (All-Star) "pick-up" players shall meet all player eligibility rules in this
section.
b. A player may only be a "pick-up" player once per season.
c. ‘B’ (All-Star) players whose teams are no longer eligible for Championship
competition are eligible to play with an ‘A’ or a ‘B’ team as a pick-up player in
the same or higher age classification.
d. All "pick-up" player rules shall apply as outlined in ASA National Code.
4. Rural (or remote location) Team Eligibility: Contact ‘B’ 16U/18U Commissioner for
team eligibility policies.
Imperial SB Dad

by jp1972 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:12 am

How do I get my daughter on a 14u travel ball? She really wants to tryout for one but I have no idea how to go about this. We live in Hemet........Thank you
jp1972

by DropCurve » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:12 pm

It's in the "Tryouts"
DropCurve

by FC2021 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:01 am

Hahahahaha.....this post is funny. What lessons can they learn in recball that they didn't in travel ball?
FC2021
Premium Member
Premium Member

by B34R DOWN » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:58 am

FC2021 wrote:Hahahahaha.....this post is funny. What lessons can they learn in recball that they didn't in travel ball?

Oh I don't know... Maybe becoming a pitcher or catcher since they won't have a shot to learn on a competitive travel team... Travel they would get maybe an inning here or there to try it out... Rec they could be a starting catcher or at the very least get a lot more innings in... Want to be a MI, but you are stuck in the outfield in travel? In Rec those girls get to shine at whatever position they really want...
B34R DOWN

Next

Return to CA