Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Youth Softball: Why You Should Play Rec League

by SDTitans » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:54 am

Playing Rec does not help pay for the travel ball organizational facility or help pay the travel ball coaches bills.. geez.. think of the bank accounts.. not the children
SDTitans
Premium Member
Premium Member

by titleIX » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:32 pm

Just having Rec Ball experience would sure help out a lot of HS JV teams!! The fundamentals alone of throwing, catching, fielding, etc. are beneficial skills.
titleIX

by FC2021 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:50 pm

Nicelag wrote:
HIGHNTIGHT wrote:I don't remember exactly how it works but I think the rec Allstar team is limited to 4 travel ball players who participate in any form of travel ball after January. Is there anything related to the game that can be learned by returning to rec ball ?

I do believe this rule was eliminated when ASA went to the "Select" program last year (So Cal ASA anyway). How "Select" was written and set up would have violated this rule. As a result no more than 4 of the girls on the "Select" team would be eligible for all-stars. Unless of course they put the rule back in for this year.

On another note, as having done both rec and travel I can tell you that nothing at the 10U level can replace the all-star experience "if your league is competitive". Our league was very competitive, but I know many people who played for leagues that were not real competitive and they did not have much fun.

As far as leaving rec for travel at 10U I think that the abundance of travel ball teams has made it easy to make the jump. There is literally a team for everyone regardless of skill level, and parents love saying "my kid plays travel ball". That being said I hear a lot of people say ASA is to blame. Well, that may be partially correct. I think the biggest factor causing kids to leave rec and go to travel at 10U is the individual league themselves. Parental delusion as to their daughters playing ability is also a factor, but on a smaller scale in my view. There are too many leagues out there with agendas, and the problem persists when the board members who complain the most about agendas in fact have agendas themselves. I know our league has 200+ kids and most are all gold all-stars. Just ask the parents. It's a shame really.

Agree with the above post

We can sugar coat it all you want, rec leagues are becoming a thing of the past. The leagues are blowing themselves up with financial scandals, daddy ball, poor coaching and I can go on and on.

While I do believe that there is a place for rec, 6u to 10u, any players of decent skill level will be gone by the end of 10U.

Travel does give parents a choice on the team that there kid is gonna be on, also gives the kids a chance to grow with a group of girls instead of a new team every 4 months.
FC2021
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to CA