Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

CIF RULES REGARDING TRAVEL BALL PLAY..

by CharlesIngalls » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:33 pm

This is for anyone that may have knowledge regarding this topic.

Could someone please give me the Readers Digest version of the CIF Southern Section Rules in regards to Varsity or Junior Varsity softball players playing on a Travel Ball team, being it in weekend friendly's or sanctioned Tournaments (i.e. ASA,TCS and USSSA).

And if a player is found to have participated with a Travel Ball team, what action can CIF take?
CharlesIngalls

by hotwheels » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:54 am

Spazsdad wrote:Varsity players cannot play in any outside contest during the season of sport. If found to have played the HS team has to forfeit any games they participated in.
Not sure on JV

Same goes for JV and/or Freshman!

They can practice all they want but can't play in "OFFICIATED CONTESTS"....I/E....Friendlies, tournaments, practice games, anything with an umpire and 2 teams competing!
hotwheels

by JustBob » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:26 am

This just applies to High Shool softball right?? If your DD is doing a different sport (IE:Track and Field) during High School softball can she still play Travel Ball?? I just assumed they could but did not check the actual CIF rule. :?:
JustBob

by WCV 12 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:13 am

The rule applies to any sport IN SEASON. i/e Club softball can be played during CIF basketball season as long as CIF softball and basketball do not over lap.
WCV 12

by JustBob » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:41 am

Just talked to a CIF rep. to clarify. She stated that at the time you are participating in a high school sport you can not also compete on a club or travel team of the same sport at the same time. This rule applies to all High School sports.
JustBob

by Sftbll4ever » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:43 am

Be careful of other rules. I know that in San Diego, their CIF rules state that you can have NO CONTACT with your travel ball team. This means no practices or even a lunch get together.

You need to check your own CIF Section for different rules.
Sftbll4ever

by Mystic93 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:19 am

Here is the actual San Diego Section CIF rule per the GreenBook:

Basically, it says that you can't "participate or practice" on a travel team (outside team) if HALF or MORE of the number of players required to start a contest is participating. So, you can play Over-the-line (3 players) (its referenced below) or have 4 players at a "practice".

600.1. IN THE CIFSDS DURING SEASON OF SPORT
a. School Team - The current-year San Diego Section Master Schedule, approved by the Board of Managers, sets the official commencement and conclusion of each sports season within the San Diego Section. During a particular season of sport, there are no CIFSDS restrictions on interscholastic practice or the association of interscholastic coaches and their athletes.

b. Outside Team - During a San Diego Section athlete’s season of sport, he or she may not participate or practice on an outside team in the same sport (Approved January 21, 2003 Board of Managers). For the purpose of this rule, an outside team is defined as a non-CIF team consisting of half or more of the number of players required to start a contest by the
respective National Federation rules book. Tackle football is considered to be a sport separate from touch or flag football. Examples of outside team sports that would be in conflict include (but not limited to) 3 on 3-basketball, slow pitch softball. Examples of outside team sports that would not be in conflict would be 2-person volleyball, 5 on 5-indoor soccer, and over-the-line softball.
As an only exception, athletes participating in the individual sports of swimming, diving, and gymnastics may practice during their season of sport, as unattached athletes, with club teams, which are established under the National Governing Board for that sport, so long as the athlete also practices with the school team, and the athlete is entered to compete as an
unattached athlete in the CIF-approved competitions at Bylaw 600. (Approved June 3, 2003 Board of Managers)

http://www.cifsds.org/pdf/GreenBook.pdf
Mystic93

by bugs » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:47 am

San Diego's rule on not letting softball players practice with their Travel Teams, otherwise known as the Tom Dodd Rule, is ridiculous. Spaz is right, when will someone challenge the baffoons who run CIF in San Diego, who rule in favor of their own kids schools, and against all other schools. Poway HS vs Bonita Vista HS per example. Mr. Ackerman has no credibility at all and now is the time to challenge him on this ridicuous rule.

How is he to tell us what to do on a Sunday, our day off and our daughters weekend, what to do.
bugs

by ice_67 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:10 am

I hear TD would love to have his travel team practice 6-7 hours on Sunday and maybe a few hours during the week. Is that what you want to do Bugs?

Maybe softball is just as important as academics. I'm not buying it.
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

by bugs » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:27 am

Missing the point Ice, I don't want the CIF telling me what to do on the weekend, or my daughter. Has nothing to do with academics or TD. Orange County Southern Section can practice on the weekends. Why not San Diego section is all I am saying.

TD is one of the reasons the rule was made as he did have 7 hour practices and the girls would come back to the high school practices bruised and very tired and the high school coaches did not like that. Thus they complained to the CIF and the rule was made. I certainly would not have my daughter play on a team like that and hope that the coaches would use the Sunday time to work on keeping the girls team strategies and team principles ready for ASA States that start right after the high school season. I feel San Diego is at a big disadvantage going into States as the San Diego Travel Teams cannot practice together as a team during the high school season on Sundays like the OC Travel Teams.
bugs

Next

Return to CA