Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

CIF RULES REGARDING TRAVEL BALL PLAY..

by ice_67 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:31 pm

Bugs, so you don't want CIF(or any other governemnt agency) to tell you what you can do on the weekends. That sounds very Republican of you. :o

I agree that CIF or any other government agency should not dictate what my family does after school.

Maybe we can relocate TD up to the OC.
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

by bugs » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Spaz, your TD watch has not been good. He coached last year in the Fall between the OC and Diego as you call it. Team kicked him off and went on to do well with other coaches at Nationals. Was also the 18Gold coach for Fresno Force years ago. That was interesting as the kids from Fresno would drive all the way to Bakersfield and TD would drive from San Diego for the famous 8 hour practices as a halfway point. Did not last very long as Force kicked him out of there as well.
bugs

by c'monblue » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:46 pm

If your dds highschool team only has jv and freshman and are not in a real league woul or could it affect next year play for the player? 27 to 1 wins are killing me. on travel she's competing for play time in highschool she sits aftertwo innings so other kids can get some time.we will have to dust her off for travel.
c'monblue

by Justwondering22 » Sat May 07, 2011 11:49 am

How about an assistant coach of a varsity high school team in CA (season still going) also being the head coach of an ASA travel team comprised mostly of the high school JV players (same high school - JV season ended)? Is this allowed? Seems odd that the players can't play both but we have a local coach that assists in the high school game one weekend, coaches ASA friendly the next and then back to HS and so on.
Last edited by Justwondering22 on Mon May 09, 2011 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justwondering22

by weekend4trvl » Sat May 07, 2011 8:41 pm

I did notice in the CIF SS rulebook that a softball player can play on a travel baseball team during the season...considered a different sport. Most of us agree that it shouldn't matter to the CIF rules committee what they do off campus and on their own time.
weekend4trvl

by Russkie » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:29 pm

Can i help out my own travel team while im in high school... Meaning watch games or just be in the dug out with them but not play AT ALL!!!
Russkie

by PDad » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:05 am

Russkie wrote:Can i help out my own travel team while im in high school... Meaning watch games or just be in the dug out with them but not play AT ALL!!!

CIF Rules vary by Section within the state. Southern Section allows players to practice with travel teams and others do not (e.g. San Diego). I'd be surprised if a Section didn't allow any contact.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by FC2021 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:26 pm

Softball friends, spoke to Kim Willeman, assistant Softball CIF commissioner for the SoCal region, all high school players, freshmen, JV and Varsity go dark on February 27th.

These players CAN CONTINUE to practice with their teams with no additional restrictions.

Also spoke to John Labeta, the San Diego assistant commissioner for softball and all players go dark on March 1st plus they do have ADDITIONAL restrictions.

These San Diego based players are NOT allowed to have ANY softball team practice during the dark period.

These players are STILL ALLOWED to host fundraisers as a team, participate in strength and conditioning, non team instructional private lessons and attend team meetings and social functions such as parties and ball games.

Last but not least, Comissioner Jerry Schnipp informed us that Central California players go dark on February 1st for early conditioning and training. These players are allowed to continue to practice without any restrictions.

Hope this helps all our softball friends out there who might have some questions or concerns regarding High School Ball.
FC2021
Premium Member
Premium Member

by SoCal Bownet » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:34 pm

Do we know CIF rules for 2017 season.. Players are from OC high schools and whitter area.. When do they go dark?? How often can they practice? Any other restrictions??
Bownet Softball
SoCal Bownet
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Bookend » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:05 pm

Be careful with the definition of a "scrimmage". I have heard and seen from Travel Coaches that an umpire needs to be involved to be considered a scrimmage. This is not the case!
This is from our High School Athletic Director who is on the CIF eligibility committee;

It's actually pretty simple, once the HS team plays their 1st scrimmage or game, the athlete can no longer compete with any outside school team until the high school season is over. This includes a scrimmage or any game. Please be very careful here as the penalties can be fairly stiff towards the student-athlete and the school.

Scrimmages are especially tricky, but in short the section views any drills or competition in which a team has over half of the normal players it takes to play a game a scrimmage. In the sport of softball where you play with 9, more than half would be 5. So a 5 on 5 drill could be viewed as a scrimmage.

Hope this helps!
Bookend

PreviousNext

Return to CA