Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

10 things you need to know about OC high school softball

by redzone » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:00 am

Check out Jen Schroeder's latest contribution to the Orange County Register's Varsity web page.

http://www.ocvarsity.com/sports/softbal ... chool.html
redzone

by hesit8er » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:04 am

Gag! Who cares? Where's the credibility anyway? Shocking that the OC Register/OC Varsity will allow this sort of nepotism. Get a real reporter/columnist who will actually get out there and do some leg work on the "10 things you will need to know about OC high school softball"....full disclosure or not!
hesit8er

by kevin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:38 am

I don't know this girl personally, but I have seen her pitch for the So Ca A's Gold, and from what I have read she has been dominant so far and belongs on these OC lists, and thats the Massey young lady from Trabuco Hills, and Los Al deserves some kudos for their runner-up finish in Bullhead. Any coverage for softball is good coverage. There are so many good softball players in the OC, its impossible to highlight all of them.
kevin

by xxxYerOut » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:48 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
hesit8er wrote:Gag! Who cares? Where's the credibility anyway? Shocking that the OC Register/OC Varsity will allow this sort of nepotism. Get a real reporter/columnist who will actually get out there and do some leg work on the "10 things you will need to know about OC high school softball"....full disclosure or not!

Well considering in the past we have been lucky to even get box scores for games, while other sports get full page write ups, I give props to Jen for putting the effort in to her articles and getting the register to run them.

I agree. We actually had a primetime news segment on the #1 Pleasant Grove HS team up here a day or 2 ago. Any Softball news is good news. Our girls work hard for it (as do the coaches, TD's and others trying to build a better network).
xxxYerOut

by hesit8er » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:03 pm

Totally agreed on all of the above but as stated, there is A LOT of talent in OC, lets continue to focus on all of it, not just a few dozen players and the same H.S. team/Travel teams over and over again. And lets especially make sure that were checking in the nepotism at the door. There is a certain amount of ethics involved regardless of how this info is being included (paid position, one time contributor, volunteer, etc). Maybe we could all contribute an article to OC Varsity and make sure to include our sister, daughter, cousin or BFF?? Right??
One of the players had not even played for her H.S. team as of the date this article was posted. Come on!
I, for one, am extremely pleased with all of the efforts OC Varsity can give to the softball community. I am sure the success of HeyBucket has contributed to them taking note of what their readers want.
hesit8er

by redzone » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:46 pm

I'm Jen's editor at the OC Register. So let me set the record straight. She and I have been planning her contributions to OC Varsity for months. She is working hard to check and re-check information. She talks with coaches, players, parents and softball watchers every day. We have made sure to include players from a wide range of high school and travel teams in our coverage -- although we can't put the spotlight on everyone. Jen's enthusiasm and insight about the game is invaluable in this small softball community. She is not mistake-proof, and niether am I (Did you see what I did right there?) But we'll try to get it right whenever we can. Remember, we set up her contributions to have a point of view. What you're reading, largely, is Jen's opinion, which is based on her experiences and the experiences of people inside the softball community. It's ok to disagree. In fact, it's encouraged. When you see her, tell her about players and teams she's missed.

One more thing. Jen was reluctant to put in a reference to her sister, but I decided to include it. That's on me. When Jen checked with the people who run EM (good reporting), they told her that Nicole was one of the top two most improved athletes they've had in recent months. We're not going to act like Nicole Schroeder doesn't exist just because her sister is doing the reporting. So we reported their relationship, so everyone knows and it's all out in the open.

Keith Sharon
Orange County Register
redzone

by access2 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:03 pm

Great job OC varsity! Keep up the good work!
access2
Premium Member
Premium Member

by J Fierce » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:16 pm

I enjoy Jens articles in both the OC register and ESPN rise.
In fact, my DD's coach sent an email of the "effort and attitude" article she wrote to all of our parents so that the girls could read it just for some perspective.
As far as her sister is concerned, every time i take my DD to EM training at STC, she is there.
The girl practically lives there. Keep doing what you do Jen!
Stay thirsty, my friends
J Fierce

Return to CA