Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Team Jumping

by Twocents » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:35 pm

Admittedly newbie poster! Been around awhile. I'm looking for opinions, mostly from long timers, why jumping from team to team seems prevalent in girls FPS (more so then boys travel BB) and what you feel is a formiddable solution if any?
Twocents

by Iron Ballls » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:42 pm

Come on you know every DD wants to play SS and bat 3rd or 4th. If they can't get that then they think the grass is always greener. It is ALWAYS the parents not the DD but this is 1 explanation why you have team hoppers.

Would like to see how many of these regret the initial decision? Seems once they Jump it happens over & over.
Iron Ballls

by Twocents » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:48 pm

I agree with you IB. I just remember it being a priveledge to play and to play wherever the coach told me to play. That playing any position was for the good of the team as a whole not the individual.
Twocents

by winginit » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:57 pm

There are lot of different reasons, (I do not have a son) but my guess it happens more in girls fp, becuase as fathers we want to protect our DD from becoming hurt. I (presume we/dads)are always concerned if we are doing the right thing for our little girl versus belief that our son can take care of himself.
winginit

by Ogre19 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:23 pm

Iron Ballls wrote:Come on you know every DD wants to play SS and bat 3rd or 4th. If they can't get that then they think the grass is always greener. It is ALWAYS the parents not the DD but this is 1 explanation why you have team hoppers.

Would like to see how many of these regret the initial decision? Seems once they Jump it happens over & over.

I know of a situation where it wasn't so much the parents decision. The parents and the coach were really good friends and still are. They loved the girls on the team and their parents.The DD just wasn't seeing enough playing time, infield or out field but she had one hell of a bat. They made the move to one of "Brackis" current top 10 14U teams and now she's a starter under a very good coach...Some times change is good
Ogre19

by dodgerblue » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:31 pm

Been in this since 10U travel now currently Gold and don't know (1) kid that's been loyal to any one team. Unless your the coach that's managed your DD the entire time I find it hard to believe any (1) girl being loyal to any team.
dodgerblue

by access2 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:47 pm

dodgerblue wrote:Been in this since 10U travel now currently Gold and don't know (1) kid that's been loyal to any one team. Unless your the coach that's managed your DD the entire time I find it hard to believe any (1) girl being loyal to any team.

It must be tough for that one kid- not having the choice to jump off to another team.
access2
Premium Member
Premium Member

by artomatic » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:30 pm

dodgerblue wrote:Been in this since 10U travel now currently Gold and don't know (1) kid that's been loyal to any one team. Unless your the coach that's managed your DD the entire time I find it hard to believe any (1) girl being loyal to any team.

when we made the jump from rec to travel in first year 12's in the fall of 2006, we were naive like many. coming out with a successful all star team, thinking we would be with that group for years.
we had great success right away, but players/families' needs, goals, and talent levels change and things changed after that first year.
this is my kid's 4th season in travel, and she does not have any players on her current team that were on that first team back in 2006.
there are alot of those players that are in the organization we are in now, which is a different organization that we started with, but they are on different teams and age divisions.

I think a realistic approach is take it one season at a time, and re-evaluate where your kid needs to be after each season.

Thinking your kid will stay with the same group all the way to the end of her travel ball career is not a realistic approach.

As always, JMHO.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dodgerblue » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:45 pm

Well said Arto, I guess my DD is a team jumper sorry guilty as charged. Maybe I'll keep my younger one on the same team if it survives from 12U to 18G so in about 5 years I'll let everyone know on here that my DD wasn't a team jumper.
dodgerblue

by Killer Rabbit » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:45 pm

We should make a distinction between leaving a team for a legit reason (ie abusive coach, etc...) and leaving a team for "greener" pastures.
Ice cream?! When the f**k did we get ice cream?!
Killer Rabbit
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to CA