Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Cheating

by Hinky » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:57 pm

in all seriousness was offering you a compliment by saying your posts are entertaining.

definitely not worth it to read your ramblings trashing on people
Hinky

by C77fastpitch » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:13 pm

Slapper-dad. You have cogent reasoning in your debate about illegal pitching. I disagree but appreciate that type of banter. I won't even answer the other two posters. I agree with part of your statement, everything done at a young age should be a learning process. If the umpire would explain to the pitcher what she is doing illegal, so she could work on cleaning up her technique, I would be all for it. But, to say nothing and then brag about what an outstanding pitcher she is, is too much for me to handle. Even if the drag were a bit bumpy because a hole in front of the mound precipitated it, I could understand that, but umpires are suppose to follow the rule book and not call a game according to their own whims.
C77fastpitch

by slapperdad » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:23 am

C77fastpitch wrote:Slapper-dad. You have cogent reasoning in your debate about illegal pitching. I disagree but appreciate that type of banter. I won't even answer the other two posters. I agree with part of your statement, everything done at a young age should be a learning process. If the umpire would explain to the pitcher what she is doing illegal, so she could work on cleaning up her technique, I would be all for it. But, to say nothing and then brag about what an outstanding pitcher she is, is too much for me to handle. Even if the drag were a bit bumpy because a hole in front of the mound precipitated it, I could understand that, but umpires are suppose to follow the rule book and not call a game according to their own whims.

I vehemently disagree with having the umpire address young pitchers. Address the coach, the coach knows her, knows how to deal with her. At the risk of sounding like a male chauvinist, when dealing with young girls, as an umpire I have no idea how she's going to react to me talking to her. I don't want to affect her in any way. That's why I choose to address the coach. I've seen some umpires bring the coach out to the circle to address both of them, I'm not opposed to that either. Again, we're talking younger, inexperience pitchers.

I've tried to explain, the umpires aren't making these decisions on a whim, at least competent ones aren't. I'll grant you there are some cowboys out there who are there to make money, nothing more, nothing less. It's a roll of dice what you're going to get, I got nothing for them. But by and large umpires are calling what they're being told to call. They're applying the rules and interpreting the rules, as they are told. I will also be honest, the world is in dire need of officials. The official pool as a whole is getting older, younger guys/gals aren't starting or aren't sticking with it. The pool as a whole is dying, physically unable to do it anymore, or it's just time spend more time doing other stuff. I've given up travel ball myself. Frankly at 53 and having had the health issues I've had, it's just not fun anymore. I worked a couple of weekends this summer when they were short, and I'm just not willing to give up the time anymore. Between coaching and officiating, I've given up a LOT of family time, and it's time to give some of that family time back. My wife and I are empty nesters and it's good to have some us time again.

I officiate Football and Softball, and am active in both sports, you have NO IDEA the emails, phone calls, texts, etc., I get day in and day out looking for officials from youth thru high school. There are some real issue looming, I'm not sure what the answer is, but someone needs to start thinking outside the box, in high school Football across the nation, we are nearing a point where Friday nights are going to have to be split up between Thursday, Friday, Saturday because there aren't enough officials to cover all the games. Pay is an issue, crazy parents/fans are an issue, time away from family, time commitments, sanctioning mandates, etc. Using myself as an example, in Football in Indiana, between all of my licensing fees, association dues, travel to and from association meetings, certification clinics, etc., I figure I'm about $400 in the hole not including my time, before I ever step on the field, for a $65 varsity game fee. It's not about the money for me, it was never about the money, but I don't want to lose my ass doing it. Not to mention equipment, I spend anywhere from $150-$250 a year replacing equipment/uniforms. Just spent $150ish for one pair of Football pants, a shirt, and a white hat for V games this fall. I get a new pair of pants,shirt, and hat every fall. I may be a horrible official, but I look good. However, when I'm on the field, under the warm glow of the Friday night lights, all is right in the world. I'm not very smart, it requires my total focus, and all the stuff going on in my life, the stress, it all disappears for a couple of hours. I can't imagine being anywhere else on a Friday night in the fall. Off my soapbox.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by maysm » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:29 am

The answer is simple. No one cares whether they pitch legally or not. It would be enforced if they did.
maysm

by C77fastpitch » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:36 pm

True!
C77fastpitch

by C77fastpitch » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:53 pm

I can't believe anyone would want to referee, but glad they do. I'm not big in football, but my husband played for a small Catholic College in South Bend, where the fans are totally nuts! Touchdown Jesus can barely help the referee, whom the fans perceived made bad calls. I hope softball never gets that bad, but there is a happy medium, umpires that acknowledge there is a rule book and it is supposed to be followed are in great demand.
C77fastpitch

by Backnine » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:42 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X6u9AkRbNc

Double whammy. Change the rules already!!1
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:35 am

Backnine wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X6u9AkRbNc

Double whammy got that right! Pitchers crow hop and the bad umpiring at pgf!

I understand the difference described earlier in the post, umpiring looking at the different age brackets and developmental stages when they may not apply that rule, but at the level in video should be applied!

The pitching mound was already moved back 3 feet when the ball and bats changed. If they take that rule away you'll have to move it back another two feet. Apply the rule!

Maybe the umpires have slacked off because of games called friendly's where we can see the majority of umpires are not holding themselves to any standards. If the officiating can't be official how will the game have official standards?
Hinky

by Crabby_Bob » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:28 am

Hinky wrote:

Blatant leap and batter out of the box. Have to call that.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by Hinky » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:04 pm

Crabby_Bob wrote:
Hinky wrote:

Blatant leap and batter out of the box. Have to call that.

Good eye!
Triple whammy!
AND you can see plate ump & two base umpires on the field!
Hinky

PreviousNext

Return to CA