Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Cheating

by C77fastpitch » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:08 pm

A very simple question. Why are some pitchers allowed to cheat? Monica Abbot cheat steps and a host of college starts crow hop. If crow-hopping and cheat stepping are still against the rules, why are some pitchers allowed to do this while others get called for it? Now travel ball girls are cheating as well, with of course NO calls.
C77fastpitch

by Hinky » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:42 am

Hmmm well maybe just like you cant see the ball movement on the pitches, curving, rising,dropping...
The umpire
cant see the illegal pitches. :)
(light humor C77)

Umpiring is an opinion
based on the interpretation of the opinion :D
(more humor)
Hinky

by eddiez577 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:05 am

Is there a clear advantage on the illegal pitch? I believe USA Softball is no longer moving runners to the next base, so maybe that may be the reason for the lax calls. I don't think there's an advantage, so it shouldn't be considered cheating. Don't want to slow down the pace of play.

I'm rambling :-/ Need coffee.
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PairOfAces » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:30 am

I wouldn't necessarily call it cheating. The fix has to start with the pitching instructors - and that shows how many unqualified instructors there are. One of my DDs got in that habit briefly but her instructor addressed it and corrected it quickly.

But if it is in the rule book as illegal, then the governing body needs to make sure it is enforced - every time.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Backnine » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:59 am

If you watch the ground level slo-mo you will see that almost every pitcher foot is off the ground. Very few actually drag. So now what? Try to decide to what degree they can leave the ground? Their intentions? Were they trying to drag? Should just change the rules. As long as they dont replant or double push off it should be allowed. Its stupid to see some over jealous ump ruin a kids day.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eddiez577 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:15 pm

"If you watch the ground level slo-mo you will see that almost every pitcher foot is off the ground. Very few actually drag. So now what? Try to decide to what degree they can leave the ground? Their intentions? Were they trying to drag? Should just change the rules. As long as they dont replant or double push off it should be allowed. Its stupid to see some over jealous ump ruin a kids day."

Happens all the time when we play those fixed mound-multi age group fields with the 40' and 43' mound. I always see some pitchers compensate the extra inch on their stride by giving it tat little "extra" effort not to slide and get injured, just to get called for leaping. Dumb rule, but rule is a rule :|
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by C77fastpitch » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:58 am

Hinky- That's not funny, what does ball movement have to do with pitchers cheating.You don't have a sense of humor, you have senseless humor. What do you people mean it doesn't help pitchers? Of course getting closer to the plate with more momentum would help pitching speed, that's why it isn't legal. If they want to make it legal, then make it legal, if not, CALL IT! Gosh, lets not ruin a kids day just because she's cheating, lets instead reinforce the concept that as long as you can get away with it, its right! Harvard students weren't cheating on their final exams in 2012, they were merely strengthening their collaboration skills. Softball people know what cheat stepping and crow hopping looks like, so please stop analyzing to the point of being paralyzed.
C77fastpitch

by Hinky » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:41 am

C77
it's totally funny!!!!! (since you claim that pitches don't move in fastpitch softball... Which that's funny in itself..) makes it relevant and funny,...
you can't see the pitches moving so why would you think the umpire can see the pitchers foot!
( if you can't see something why would you expect another person be able to see something else, the fact that you don't get that joke is funny also LOL)

C77
now that's funny again!! you trying to poke at me about humor, when you are the one who has no sense of humor at all, now that makes it even
:lol: more funny
Hinky

by C77fastpitch » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:56 pm

Again Hinky Ding Dong, why does an umpire have to notice ball movement, It's either a strike or not! You don't want to watch D1 softball with an open mind, your brainwashed and can't think for yourself. D1 pitchers are fast, and if they have a good change-up all the better. Look for the movement that's not a change of speed pitch. Yes, a rise ball goes up and is hard to hit, but it doesn't jump. A good drop goes down, but doesn't drop from a straight ball. I fell to see what any of this has to do with cheat stepping and crow-hopping. You can see that stuff from the bleachers. You probably can't, your too busy watching youtube and believing everything you hear. Grow-up and think for yourself, and stop repeating everything your told. ( Read Plato's," Analogy of the Cave", and step into the light) PS- if you can read, and comprehend! Never mind, that might be asking too much.
C77fastpitch

by slapperdad » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:36 am

C77fastpitch wrote:A very simple question. Why are some pitchers allowed to cheat? Monica Abbot cheat steps and a host of college starts crow hop. If crow-hopping and cheat stepping are still against the rules, why are some pitchers allowed to do this while others get called for it? Now travel ball girls are cheating as well, with of course NO calls.

If you're looking at getting into umpiring, I'd start here:
https://www.teamusa.org/Home/USA%20Soft ... all%20Code
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

Next

Return to CA