Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

True softball movement

by C77fastpitch » Thu May 17, 2018 1:45 am

It seems that when your trying to find the science of softball movement, all you get is opinions from pitchers and coaches. Although these people are talented they are not scientist. The other group that wants to lend their expertise to the subject are people who think they are scientist and are trying to sale you something. The truth is there is not a lot of science on the subject, so I have begun my own research to find out as much information as possible. No, I don't want to sale anything to anyone or become the new flavor of the day pitching coach. I just want to understand more about the science of softball movement. My preliminary findings are as follows, there is not a lot of movement in softball pitching. The curves are slanted, no late brake, the rise goes up but doesn't jump, and the fast-ball drop pitch is simply slanted downward. The only pitch that actually moves even a smidgen is the change-up pitch that drops for lack of speed. It appears the expertise of the pitcher to throw at varies angles creating ball direction, without appearing to change any mechanical aspect of her motion is the key to the supposed softball movement. This is contrary to what most pitching experts, or those who try to sale softball gadgets, believe. A lot of these experts use different theories of fluid movement to explain the type of movement they think causes the batter to miss a certain pitch, but true scientific facts do not bare them out.
C77fastpitch

by orange socks » Thu May 17, 2018 5:06 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYfgfOqKYDM

This pitch is not slanting. Looks like some serious late break.
orange socks

by Hinky » Thu May 17, 2018 7:23 am

C77fastpitch wrote:It seems that when your trying to find the science of softball movement, all you get is opinions from pitchers and coaches. Although these people are talented they are not scientist. The other group that wants to lend their expertise to the subject are people who think they are scientist and are trying to sale you something. The truth is there is not a lot of science on the subject, so I have begun my own research to find out as much information as possible. No, I don't want to sale anything to anyone or become the new flavor of the day pitching coach. I just want to understand more about the science of softball movement. My preliminary findings are as follows, there is not a lot of movement in softball pitching. The curves are slanted, no late brake, the rise goes up but doesn't jump, and the fast-ball drop pitch is simply slanted downward. The only pitch that actually moves even a smidgen is the change-up pitch that drops for lack of speed. It appears the expertise of the pitcher to throw at varies angles creating ball direction, without appearing to change any mechanical aspect of her motion is the key to the supposed softball movement. This is contrary to what most pitching experts, or those who try to sale softball gadgets, believe. A lot of these experts use different theories of fluid movement to explain the type of movement they think causes the batter to miss a certain pitch, but true scientific facts do not bare them out.

OP 10u dd just started pitching.
( are you talking about 10u again?)
* people are allowed to have their opinions, thanks for sharing that one!
It was funny
... :lol: ...
Hinky

by Hinky » Thu May 17, 2018 7:57 am

here is a great explanation and article on
"The physics of pitching"
on livestrong.com

https://www.livestrong.com/article/2925 ... -softball/
Hinky

by C77fastpitch » Tue May 22, 2018 9:50 pm

Spazsdad is an intolerant know it all,eager to bash and call names, that's his MO, and he has always thought he owns this web sight, nothing new there! As far as disagreements are concerns, nobody said you had to agree with me, in fact its just the opposite Hinky. That video in my opinion proves my point, a faded slanted pitch, nothing more. The physics your so eager to use to prove me wrong is simply an opinion trying to use science to back it up. I'm not going to argue this point, believe what you want. The magnus effect could explain the movement of a softball if a softball pitchers could spin the ball fast enough to create lows and highs over the ball, but this unfortunately this is impossible. Science can explain why it's possible to move a softball using the magnus effect, it just can't explain how a pitcher can create that amount of spin. Fast-pitch pitching is about speed and direction. I love those who say speed is not that important, where is the D1 pitcher throwing at a top speed of 52mph. Cat Osterman is certainly not the fastest of the elite pitchers but can still throw in the mid 60's with a considerable downward angle due to her height advantage. I wanted this to a be scholarly discussion about true softball movement, disagreements allowed and respected. "I never learned from those who agreed with me", and that's what I believe. When I moved from Indiana to California,I met some wonderful people and places, and enjoy writing on this sight. Unfortunately, the inexcusably intolerant Spazsdad has to rear his head. I would love to meet you Spazsdad, where do you live. Indiana's sight certainly had its intolerant posters, and many of them were from California, Spazsdad was one of the leaders. He doesn't post alone, he always has to have others to form a pack, its the way he works. You California people probably already know that. He jumps in when others disagreed with you and begins his name calling. Its really a work of art, he doesn't add anything to the discussion, he's a put down artist, with all the catch words, .Spazsdad, I live in the Stanford area, Your a guy I would really like to meet. My Husband, a former ND linebacker is another of your fans, and I know that meeting would be very interesting. if your around travel ball, we will probably meet.
Last edited by C77fastpitch on Wed May 23, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
C77fastpitch

by Hinky » Wed May 23, 2018 9:38 am

C77
I find your posts entertaining.
My posts are simply try to converse on the topics. Add feedback with tips and knowledge that may help ANYONE who reads the Forum.
opinions and supportive facts are part of open discussions.
And try to have some humor along the way.

if you are going to speak in absolutes you will definitely get push back . But you already know that, perhaps that's your intention because you like the push and shove. it seems when people offer valid points and factual knowledge you never look at it and apply its purpose and relativity in the discussion.

that's okay some people want to stick to their own mindset and try to use the Forum as a place to be an activist rather than to have discussion that's inclusive of others.

Good Luck with your scientific discoveries in softball. look forward to more entertaining posts!
Hinky

by C77fastpitch » Wed May 23, 2018 1:51 pm

Hinky, I like how you said add tips. Add tips, you must think a lot of your opinions. Your post was all about What you think, not others. Entertainment was merely a word you used to put others in their place. What I say is a joke, only you know the truth, what I have to say is entertainment. I've talk to scientist about those theories, these are not just my opinions. I happen to be in a place where I can do that. I might be wrong, your correct, but instead of adding something new to the conversation, you wrote what I said was merely entertainment, not relevant enough to be taken seriously. Who do you think you are saying things like that?I love those who use catch words to put others down, I would never say that to you, I have manners. I hope I was entertaining with my less than relevant information, I'm stupid, not smart like you.
C77fastpitch

by Backnine » Wed May 23, 2018 2:21 pm

This is referring to baseball

An excellent explanation is given in "The New York Times Book of Science Literacy." "The ordinary curveball, breaking to the left or the right, relies on a lateral force caused by its rapid spin. The sideways spin lowers the pressure on one side and raises it on the other. The effect of spin is potent. A ball spinning at 1,800 revolutions per minute a ball that will turn about 15 times in its 60-foot, 6-inch journey to the plate will feel a sideways force of more than an ounce, which will turn its path by about one and a half feet."
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Backnine » Wed May 23, 2018 2:30 pm

This is referring to baseball

An excellent explanation is given in "The New York Times Book of Science Literacy." "The ordinary curveball, breaking to the left or the right, relies on a lateral force caused by its rapid spin. The sideways spin lowers the pressure on one side and raises it on the other. The effect of spin is potent. A ball spinning at 1,800 revolutions per minute a ball that will turn about 15 times in its 60-foot, 6-inch journey to the plate will feel a sideways force of more than an ounce, which will turn its path by about one and a half feet."
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Wed May 23, 2018 9:13 pm

scientists :ugeek: funny
Hinky

Next

Return to CA