Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

hit by pitch rule, free base

by Hinky » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:50 am

hit by pitch rule used to be batters had to make an attempt to get out of the way of the pitch. if they were still hit they were awarded first base. Some years ago that rule changed. now batter does not have to make an attempt to move out of the way and can stand there and get hit and be awarded first base. thinking it through would you rather have your batter get hit in the knee to get to first base or in the rib cage or in the kidney or would you rather have them move? I would prefer less injuries and would not frown on a batter moving to prevent one. it is a sport, injuries are part of it. But a rule that encourages/rewards a possible injury seems odd. IMO....
which do you think makes more sense? Have to make an attempt to move out of the way? or just stand there and get hit?
Hinky

by Hurricane » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:51 pm

Good topic. I always told my DD to try and get out of the way. Not to avoid injury...but to make sure she didn't get a free ride to first base. She LOVES to smash the ball and would rather strike out on a 3-2 change-up than go to first base without getting the opportunity to hit a line drive up the middle. :mrgreen:
Hurricane

by Hinky » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:25 am

Spazsdad wrote:Your scenario sounds a little bit selfish

so what's your view on the topic? Sounds like just stand there and get hit.
I think it brings up a good point especially if you have a big hitter up at bat and you'd much rather have them produce with crushing the ball and hit in some RBIs including maybe a home run.
IMO...
Hmmm rbi's or pegged in the knee?
Hinky

by Ivanhoe » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:38 am

I'll be honest.
As her dad, I want her to crush the ball.
As her coach, normally, anyway you can get on base and help your TEAM, get it done. Even if she has a .500 batting ave. that is still 50% of getting an out. Now, if we were way ahead, and no chance for the other team to catch up, then avoid the pitch.
After all, this is a team sport. I always tell her to help your team, sac bunt, sac fly, hit by pitch, do what is needed. And for God sakes, stop giving your friends a meatball pitch just because you struck them out the at bat before. LOL
Ivanhoe

by Chin Music » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:17 pm

Can’t score if no one gets on base. Gear up and take it!
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by C77fastpitch » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:38 pm

I think a batter should have to make attempt to get out of the way. The umpire should use the rule liberally, any attempt, it's safer and the way this game was meant to be played. How could any ball player be proud of getting to first like that?
C77fastpitch

by Hinky » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:30 pm

I think old ruling is better when batter had to make an attempt to get out of the way.
With new rule there are cheesy moments when batters take a free trip to first base. Even seeing batters leaning into a pitch. Even though they're supposed to not be able to lean over the plate they still lean into inside pitches. Some turn hip/leg into pitch getting a free base. very tough for the opinion of the umpire to discern whether it was purposeful or not.
Hinky

by Chin Music » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:16 pm

Saw many girls hbp this weekend at Mary Nutter.
With the current rule, don’t move. Didn’t see anyone brought back. Hink, back of the leg hurts way less than the front.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hinky » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:02 pm

Chin Music wrote:Saw many girls hbp this weekend at Mary Nutter.
With the current rule, don’t move. Didn’t see anyone brought back. Hink, back of the leg hurts way less than the front.

Not sure why mentioning not being brought back? Of course no one was brought back....hit by pitch go to first. Back of leg
Front of leg same bruise. Hmmm is this pitch gonna hit me in the thigh or take out my kneecap?
Do you think batters ever lean or purposely turn into pitches?
Well we know at times they do...
So just askin....
Chin, what do you think about the rule now vs. previously batters had to make an attempt to get out of the way to be awarded 1st base?
Hinky

by Chin Music » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:14 pm

Being brought back because they intentionally leaned a body part over the plate. Do I think girls go up to get hit=no. Do some have the mindset that I’m not moving=yes. Sounds like you’ve never gotten drilled by a baseball or softball? Getting hit on a bone is WAY worse than muscle!
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to CA