Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

I need a ruling; Play at the plate

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Popsof4 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:21 pm

softballdadcoach wrote:
Popsof4 wrote:Honestly, my 15 year old DD would hit the Sh@t out of the catcher. Her gold coach would be shocked and her 14u coach in the stands would laugh and say "any opportunity that kid has she is gonna run you over". My 12 year would get in trouble for not doing the same.

My wife would act shocked in the stands and Hi-5 her in the car.

JMO

Then per the rules in ASA, she is at least called 'out' and quite possibly/probably tossed from the game... Running over any player is never a good thing--sounds like crossing the line between aggressive playing and poor sportsmanship, and at least costs the team an out, possibly an out and a player and at worst costs someone an innjury.

And the catcher would never block the base path again :ugeek:
Popsof4

by SnocatzDad » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:14 pm

Popsof4 wrote:
softballdadcoach wrote:
Popsof4 wrote:Honestly, my 15 year old DD would hit the Sh@t out of the catcher. Her gold coach would be shocked and her 14u coach in the stands would laugh and say "any opportunity that kid has she is gonna run you over". My 12 year would get in trouble for not doing the same.

JMO

Then per the rules in ASA, she is at least called 'out' and quite possibly/probably tossed from the game... Running over any player is never a good thing--sounds like crossing the line between aggressive playing and poor sportsmanship, and at least costs the team an out, possibly an out and a player and at worst costs someone an innjury.

What gets catcher's to not block the base path is when they think they just completed a great tag out at home and the umpire tells them the runners safe due to OBS. Catcher's want contact, some of them want collision and it's wishful thinking if you think the runner is going to get the better of the collision short of lowering a shoulder or something obvious that will get her ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct. I don't have any problem coaching the kids to run with a "I will not be denied" mindset, there is a difference between that and looking to put a lick on someone because the opportunity is there.
SnocatzDad

by skahtboi » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:58 pm

JMO

Amazing. Truly amazing.
skahtboi

by MTR » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:13 pm

softballdadcoach wrote:

JMO

Unfortunately, that is incorrect. There is no rule calling for the runner to be called out unless the player offended is in possession of the ball (ASA 8.7.Q). However, the player should be dumped.
MTR

by softballdadcoach » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:50 pm

MTR wrote:
softballdadcoach wrote:

JMO

Unfortunately, that is incorrect. There is no rule calling for the runner to be called out unless the player offended is in possession of the ball (ASA 8.7.Q). However, the player should be dumped.

My understanding from the OP was that the ball arrived just after the runner--I was assuming in such an 'obvious' attempt of unsportmanship that interference would be called...
softballdadcoach

by MTR » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:24 pm

softballdadcoach wrote:
My understanding from the OP was that the ball arrived just after the runner--I was assuming in such an 'obvious' attempt of unsportmanship that interference would be called...

Up until a few years ago, that would have been an acceptable ruling, but based solely upon an interpretation of the members of the National Umpire Staff. This interpretation has since been reversed.

There have been rule change proposals over the past couple of years to effectively place the rule you assumed existed in place, but never got enough support.
MTR

by softballdadcoach » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:48 am

MTR wrote:
softballdadcoach wrote:

Up until a few years ago, that would have been an acceptable ruling, but based solely upon an interpretation of the members of the National Umpire Staff. This interpretation has since been reversed.

There have been rule change proposals over the past couple of years to effectively place the rule you assumed existed in place, but never got enough support.

OK--got it. See, even old dogs like me can learn something new every once in a while...

And I still take exception to Popsof4's statement where it sounds like some would 'appreciate' the described action. If his DD was the catcher (like mine is on many game-days) he might feel a little different about some other player lowering her shoulder and ramming his DD regardless of where she was set up...
softballdadcoach

by MTR » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:51 pm

softballdadcoach wrote:
OK--got it. See, even old dogs like me can learn something new every once in a while...

And I still take exception to Popsof4's statement where it sounds like some would 'appreciate' the described action. If his DD was the catcher (like mine is on many game-days) he might feel a little different about some other player lowering her shoulder and ramming his DD regardless of where she was set up...

Take exception? Nope, just ask for a substitute and considering how thin some teams travel nowadays, that may result in a forfeited game.
MTR

by Blind Squirrel » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:08 pm

Popsof4 wrote:
softballdadcoach wrote:

JMO

You and your wife are complete AssHats of the first order. Pray your kid doesn't pay on the field for how F**ked up her parents are. Oh yeah, the 14U coach richly deserves the same characterization.

John
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by watcher » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:50 pm

Popsof4 wrote:
softballdadcoach wrote:

JMO

First thought:

I just happen to have a DD thats a catcher, If you feel froggy enough I can set-up meeting (so to speak) We can Video it & take donations to help support this fine site.

Second thought:

You are a moron & have A family that follows suit.

Perfect example of when to hit backspace a few times & then exit thread.

This is a public service announcement, No thanks necessary :mrgreen:
watcher

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner