Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Courtesy runners / substitution

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by jusfrkix » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:54 pm

I couldn't find this specifically in the ASA rules book. Our team is playing in the TCS World Series which I believe uses ASA rules. I know that you can have courtesy runners for your pitcher and catcher without it being a substitution.

My question is this: if I've used a courtesy runner for my catcher, can I use that courtesy runner as a player later in the game as a substitution for a any fielder? If I can, does that player coming out of the game then become attached as the courtesy runner to the catcher.

Example: I attached a bench player as a courtesy runner to my catcher. After the third inning we are up by 8 and I want to substitute that courtesy runner as a player in for my second baseman... can I..?
"Players are a reflection of their coach"
jusfrkix
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:51 pm

Courtesy runners can only be players that have not been in the game in any other capacity. They remain eligible to be substitutes; just not in the same half inning that they were a CR. The only allowed exception is to replace an injured player in that half inning to avoid playing shorthanded when you have no other legal substitute.

Yes, your courtesy runner can be a sub for any player in the lineup, just not in the same (offensive) half inning that they were a CR. No, the player they replace is not eligible to be a courtesy runner, since she has already been in the game. (But, if you have another unused player, THAT player can be a courtesy runner).
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jusfrkix » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:01 pm

UmpSteve wrote:Courtesy runners can only be players that have not been in the game in any other capacity. They remain eligible to be substitutes; just not in the same half inning that they were a CR. The only allowed exception is to replace an injured player in that half inning to avoid playing shorthanded when you have no other legal substitute.

Yes, your courtesy runner can be a sub for any player in the lineup, just not in the same (offensive) half inning that they were a CR. No, the player they replace is not eligible to be a courtesy runner, since she has already been in the game. (But, if you have another unused player, THAT player can be a courtesy runner).

Thank you....!
"Players are a reflection of their coach"
jusfrkix
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to The Umpire Corner