Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Auburn vs Georgia

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Makina » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:31 am

I did not get to see it live, but saw hi-lights. Can anybody explain to me what happened when the Auburn player ran out of the basepath going from 1st to 2nd. And then what the ruling for the runner being called out at 1B was all about.

Thanks
Makina

by josephrt1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:27 pm

The runner going form 1st to 2nd ran inside the diamond and more than 3 feet out of the "basepath" to avoid the tag. The umpire called it but i thought he was pretty late in doing so. The 2nd baseman then flipped to 2nd to get the force out on this runner, but she was already out on the out of the base path call. Had the ump called it a little sooner, the fielder might have been able to flip to 1st base and get the 3rd out of the inning negating the go ahead run.

The second issue was coaches assistance at 1st base. The batter-runner was safe and there was no play, but for some reason started to walk away as if returning to the dugout. The coach grabbed her hand to get her back to 1st base. Umpire saw this and called her out for coaches assistance. Since the batter-runner had been safe at first, this 3rd out of the inning did not negate the run from scoring because the runner from 3rd had already crossed home plate. If the grab had happened before the batter-runner reached 1st base the runner would not have scored.

They did not show a replay of the coach grabbing her hand until the next night. It was slight, but definitely coaches assistance.
josephrt1

by PDad » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:03 pm

Hugo went to 2B right after she missed the tag, so I doubt anything would have changed with a more timely signal of the out. http://espn.go.com/espnw/sports/article/15960964/official-explains-baffling-ending-auburn-win-georgia-women-college-world-series

Here's a shot of the 1B coach assisting Rhodes towards 1B - http://image.al.com/home/bama-media/width960/img/alphotos/photo/2016/06/05/-860728062e7b1e6d.jpg
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by josephrt1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:48 pm

we'll never know, but i think she could have gotten the 3rd out at 1st. Ump does not start his signal till ball in mid flight to SS covering 2nd and if you watch in lower right corner of screen you'll catch the batter-runner going down the 1st base line. Wouda, coulda, shoulda! Moot at this point. Thanks for sharing the images. That was the best photo of the coaches assistance i have seen.
josephrt1

by PDad » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:17 pm

I think she could have gotten the out at 1B if she had gone there right after the tag attempt, however Hugo lost that opportunity when her focus remained on the runner. I don't think a prompt call by the umpire would have been in time for her to react and switch to get the out at 1B. JMHO...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:41 am

Umpire cannot call it until it happens or s/he realized it happened and the call is not simultaneous with the action. I don't think there was a shot at the deuce in F4s mind as she had already turned away from 1B when attempting the tag.

OTOH, the runner would have been smarter to just stop and then retreat toward 1B to delay the tag.
MTR

by Makina » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:17 am

So if I understand this correctly, the BR going to 1st thought she was out and started walking to the dugout and the coach stopped her by grabbing her hand? Or was she just headed back to 1st when he touched her?
Makina

by josephrt1 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:56 pm

Batter-runner most likely thought the out at 2nd represented the 3rd out and started to stray away from 1st towards the dugout. But whatever the thought process, 1B coach thought she was heading the wrong way and physically caught her and puller her back towards the bag.
josephrt1

by Tangled up in blue » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:32 am

She wasn't called out for coach's assistance, she was called out for this:

12.8.14 When, after reaching a base safely, a runner abandons her base (for example, obviously heads toward her position or the dugout, believing she was put out or that another runner was put out to end the inning).

When the first base coach grabbed her, it solidified the call.

In other codes, you could call her out of coach's assistance. Abandoning a base in ASA or NFHS requires a player to leave the field.
Tangled up in blue

by PDad » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:14 am

I agree she could have been called out for abandoning her base, however the call on the field was for the coach assisting her per what the umpire said on the field and the report I posted earlier. I expect Clint would have put up a big argument if the call had been abandonment since she was walking back after overrunning 1B - it's not as clear cut as if she stepped off 1B and he pulled her back.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to The Umpire Corner