Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

NFHS Suspended Game

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by joemcq51 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:40 am

I have a question. If a high school game is stopped in the 2nd inning due to weather, can the original lineup card be added to when the game resumes the next day? Can a player who was not on the card, be added to the card?
joemcq51

by MTR » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:04 am

Yes, if the game was suspended, everything is just as if the game never stopped. All changes made on day one are still in effect on day 2. If someone isn't there on day 2, you will need a legal substitute. All eligible players are available for day 2 even if they were not there on day 1

It should be noted that NFHS leaves a lot of the "game ending procedures" up to the state association, so it is possible that your state may have additional rules in place
MTR

by PDad » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:23 pm

If you're in CA, you need to check your Section's rules. Southern Section's rules include the statewide rules. I don't know about the other Sections (e.g. San Diego).
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:37 pm

joemcq51 wrote:I have a question. If a high school game is stopped in the 2nd inning due to weather, can the original lineup card be added to when the game resumes the next day? Can a player who was not on the card, be added to the card?

Assuming your state association (or Section) allows for suspended games to continue from the point of interruption (most do not; it would be restarted from the beginning unless it was stopped as a 5+ inning regulation tied game), then NFHS rules allow for eligible players to be added to a lineup after it is initially submitted. However, that is considered correcting an inaccurate lineup, with first violation a team warning to the head coach. Any subsequent change, correction, or addition would result in the head coach being restricted to the bench for the remainder of the game.

If replayed from the start, a new lineup would be used.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to The Umpire Corner