Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Catchers mask part of the field?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by soupy62 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:37 am

This weekend we played against a team where the catcher continued time after time to throw her mask in the field of play either on the first base path or the third base path. Obviously this kid was taught to do this I have never seen a kid put a mask in the same spot like this kid did. But I wouldn't say she was intentionally malisiously trying to use it to interfer with the play. My question is I thought if a defensive players gear was removed then hit with the ball. The ball is dead and bases awared. I don't have a rule book so I couldn't confirm it.
In itb a ball hit to right field the our runner on 2nd base rounds 3rd and is watching throw home. Catcher had thrown mask up the 1st base path. As the ball is coming in hard the ball hits the mask and dies right there catcher grabs the ball and our runner holds. We call time and talk to the blues and they award us home after the other teams coach debates it then they say the ball is live and since the runner didn't attempt to score there is no play runner put back on third and game resumes...
What is the right call and where in the rule book does it cover it? It's was a usssa tourney but I'm am guessing they are all the same on this topic. Any help is appreciated
soupy62

by Antisocial » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:47 pm

Sec 14.C.2 of the 2015 USSSA fast pitch rule book:
Two bases-if a live thrown ball, including a pitch, is touched by an illegal glove/mitt or detached player equipment which is thrown, held, tossed, or kicked by a fielder.
Antisocial

by sharktank » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:15 am

Something to think about. Teach your catcher to place mask in foul territory in the right handed batters box slightly towards 3rd base. Now, on a base hit or a play at the plate and the runner comes in on a close play, the runner will want to avoid the mask and slide straight in as opposed to a "slide-by" and risk injury sliding into the mask.
sharktank

by PDad » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:37 pm

I prefer teaching them to keep their mask on for a potential tag play...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:13 pm

The batters bat & catchers helmets are equipment that is legally allowed to be on the playing field and become part of the playing field. Once the bat is out of the batters hands and stationary it is part of the field. Once the catcher discards the helmet it is part of the field. The catcher may very well have been taught to methodically always place the helmet in the same spot, that way she is always aware of where it is rather than risking tripping over it while executing a play. In the play presented where the throw hit the catchers helmet, it should have just been a live ball.
Comp

by Antisocial » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:13 pm

Cite the rule please. As I see it, the only legal equipment that becomes part of the field is the batter- runners bat once dropped. Even rule 10 in USSSA says that once a batted or thrown ball touches loose equipment, it's dead ball.
Thanks.
Antisocial

by Comp » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:52 am

A catchers helmet is part of the official equipment.

BLOCKED BALL. A blocked ball is a live ball, pitched, batted or thrown, which is
touched, stopped or handled by a person not engaged in the game; or touches any object
which is not part of the official equipment or official playing area; or touches loose
equipment
Comp

by soupy62 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:35 am

Comp wrote:The batters bat & catchers helmets are equipment that is legally allowed to be on the playing field and become part of the playing field. Once the bat is out of the batters hands and stationary it is part of the field. Once the catcher discards the helmet it is part of the field. The catcher may very well have been taught to methodically always place the helmet in the same spot, that way she is always aware of where it is rather than risking tripping over it while executing a play. In the play presented where the throw hit the catchers helmet, it should have just been a live ball.

IS there somewhere in the rule book that says the mask is allowed to be removed and is part of the field? Not to be argumentative lol... But what about a fielders mask or other stuff a defender could lose. Is it ok for things to be involved in the play? And like the one post said if the catcher mask is part of the field why not throw it up the third base line and unintentionally (intentionally) use it to interfere with runners coming in?
soupy62

by Comp » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:46 pm

I dont have all my rule books with me so cant get you citations. It does not appear that USSSA directly addresses the catchers helmet. But, a catchers helmet is a required item of equipment for the catcher and no she is not required to keep it on during defensive plays and how could she possibly be expected to make a throw if she is also required to hold onto the helmet? I do have the NCAA reference as follows:

9.8 Equipment Blocked Ball
9.8.1 No loose equipment (that is, gloves/mitts, hats, helmets, jackets, balls,
on-deck batter’s bats), miscellaneous items, or detached parts of a player’s
uniform, other than that being legally used in the game at the time, should be
within playable territory as it could cause a blocked ball. Official equipment
that may be within playable territory with no effect includes the batter’s bat,
the catcher’s mask or helmet, umpire paraphernalia, and any helmet that has
inadvertently fallen off the head of an offensive or defensive player during
the course of play.

As for the other items you have mentioned, a fielders face mask is not a required item of equipment. It is an item that is allowed to be worn by a player and must be worn and used properly. There was a case play in one of the associations a few years back about a defender removing the facemask and discarding it into the path of a runner who trips over it. The ruling is it is considered to be obstruction. Gloves, hats, visors etc are all the same, they must be worn properly.

As for the catcher purposely throwing the helmet down the line to obstruct the runner, if I judge it to be intentional the coach will need a new catcher.
Comp

by azepfan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:07 pm

Comp wrote:I dont have all my rule books with me so cant get you citations. It does not appear that USSSA directly addresses the catchers helmet. But, a catchers helmet is a required item of equipment for the catcher and no she is not required to keep it on during defensive plays and how could she possibly be expected to make a throw if she is also required to hold onto the helmet? I do have the NCAA reference as follows:

9.8 Equipment Blocked Ball
9.8.1 No loose equipment (that is, gloves/mitts, hats, helmets, jackets, balls,
on-deck batter’s bats), miscellaneous items, or detached parts of a player’s
uniform, other than that being legally used in the game at the time, should be
within playable territory as it could cause a blocked ball. Official equipment
that may be within playable territory with no effect includes the batter’s bat,
the catcher’s mask or helmet, umpire paraphernalia, and any helmet that has
inadvertently fallen off the head of an offensive or defensive player during
the course of play.

As for the other items you have mentioned, a fielders face mask is not a required item of equipment. It is an item that is allowed to be worn by a player and must be worn and used properly. There was a case play in one of the associations a few years back about a defender removing the facemask and discarding it into the path of a runner who trips over it. The ruling is it is considered to be obstruction. Gloves, hats, visors etc are all the same, they must be worn properly.

As for the catcher purposely throwing the helmet down the line to obstruct the runner, if I judge it to be intentional the coach will need a new catcher.

according to this rule, if the equipment INADVERTENTLY falls off then there is no effect. however if the cathers purposely throws the mask onto the field then doesn't that negate that rule?
azepfan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner