Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

DP/Flex ruling

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by soupy62 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:44 am

I am wanting to use the DP/Flex so that I can have 2 pitchers in the game defensively... My starting pitcher being the better hitter. SO I am wanting to DP my starter and flex my 2nd pitcher. To begin the game I want to enter my DP defensively in the pitcher position... Blue's wouldn't allow it saying she couldn't be the starting pitcher and in the lineup if she was listed as the DP. I'm pretty sure I can do that but wanted some rule in the book that allows it! The pitcher isn't a special position exempt from entering the game prior to the game from the DP position is it?
soupy62

by Under the Radar » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:33 am

The DP can play defense in any position, you just need to announce that the DP is in on Defense to the Umpires. The Flex must to be in on defense when ever your team is on defense.
Under the Radar
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:42 pm

soupy62 wrote:I am wanting to use the DP/Flex so that I can have 2 pitchers in the game defensively... My starting pitcher being the better hitter. SO I am wanting to DP my starter and flex my 2nd pitcher. To begin the game I want to enter my DP defensively in the pitcher position... Blue's wouldn't allow it saying she couldn't be the starting pitcher and in the lineup if she was listed as the DP. I'm pretty sure I can do that but wanted some rule in the book that allows it! The pitcher isn't a special position exempt from entering the game prior to the game from the DP position is it?

You could be listing or saying it incorrectly. When you make out the lineup, your DP must be listed as DP only, and the FLEX listed as F1, pitcher. That's your "starting" lineup.

Once the starting lineup is accepted as official, THEN you can announce the DP will be playing defense; if the FLEX isn't playing defense (you didn't say she was playing any other defensive position), your lineup is (temporarily, at that point) down to 9 players, with the option to return to 10 with the FLEX playing defense on re-entry (or substitution).

But, if you are initially listing the DP as your starting pitcher, no, you cannot.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to The Umpire Corner