Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

I dunno (for sure anyway)

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Pale Rider » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:58 am

Question from another forum...HS ball
don't have a dog in that (or any) fight...
Just looking for a correct answer...

"Two situations i would like a rules clarification please:

Situation #1: Offensive player at bat sacrifice buts with a runner on second. Defensive player makes throw to 1st for the out. Runner on second continues home trying to score. Defensive player makes throw to home attempting to get runner out. The thrown ball hits the offensive players bat that is laying in the field of play and kicks away from the defensive play allowing the runner to score. Should the ball have been deamed a dead ball when it hit the bat, or is this just a bad break?

Situation #2; Bases loaded, pitcher begins her windup to throw a pitch to the the batter, but stops her attempt to make the pitch, after she breaks her hands and is in a forward motion to the plate. No time has been called, hitter is still in box ready to hit. What is the ruling for this, is it just a illegal pitch and a ball awarded to the hitter or is it ruled like a balk in baseball. Called dead and all runners advance one base? "
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:13 pm

First topic, once the bat is out of the batters hands and stationary on the field it becomes part of the playing field. If a thrown ball hits it and skips away, it is a live ball and the runners can continue to advance.

2nd topic. An illegal pitch in softball is always a ball on the batter and advance any runners 1 base, unless the batter hits the ball. If they do and all runners advance at least once base safely and the batter/runner reaches safely the illegal pitch is ignored. If the runners do not all advance safely and/or the batter/runner does not reach base, the offensive coach gets the choice of the penalty for the illegal pitch or the result of the play.
Comp

Return to The Umpire Corner