Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Verbal Obstruction ?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:09 am

Has anyone ever called or seen verbal obstruction called ? I can't think of a situation where it would be applied.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by mikille » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:46 pm

mikille

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:07 pm

LMAOWIOAB ! :lol: ... Forgot all about that one :lol:

... But in any event, that is Verbal INT not Verbal OBS ... OBS is what the defense does to the offense, INT is what the offense does to the defense
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Comp » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:02 am

Taken from the USSSA Case Book

VERBAL OBSTRUCTION
SITUATION A: R1 attempts to steal second. (a) F5 yells “get back get back”. R1 starts back to first where
she is tagged out. . (b) F5, seeing F2 going to the outfield, yells “slide”. R1 slides late into 2B. (c) F5 yells
to F3 “you have the bag”.
RULING: In (a) and (b), this is verbal obstruction and the umpire should call “obstruction” and signal a
delayed dead ball. The umpire will award R1 the base or bases she would have reached in the umpire’s
judgment had there been no obstruction. In (c), this is normal defensive communications. (3-43, 8-13, 8-
15-B-4, 10-5, 11-2-A)
SITUATION B: R1 attempts to steal second. F2, upon receiving the pitch, throws a pop-up to F6. F5 yells
“get back get back”. R1 thinks B2 has hit a pop-up and starts back to first where she is tagged out.
RULING: This is verbal obstruction on F5. The umpire should call “obstruction” and signal a delayed dead
ball. The umpire will call time when R1 is tagged out and award her the base or bases she would have
reached in the umpire’s judgment had there been no obstruction. (3-4; 8-13, 8-15-B-4, 10-5)
In addition, F2 is guilty of unsportsmanlike conduct and is ejected (11-2-R)
Comp

by PDad » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:44 pm

I expected an umpire to point out ARod committed interference, not obstruction. They're usually quick to pounce on that...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:34 am

PDad wrote:I expected an umpire to point out ARod committed interference, not obstruction. They're usually quick to pounce on that...

I had already stated that
GIMNEPIWO

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:37 am

Comp wrote:Taken from the USSSA Case Book

VERBAL OBSTRUCTION
SITUATION A: R1 attempts to steal second. (a) F5 yells “get back get back”. R1 starts back to first where
she is tagged out. . (b) F5, seeing F2 going to the outfield, yells “slide”. R1 slides late into 2B. (c) F5 yells
to F3 “you have the bag”.
RULING: In (a) and (b), this is verbal obstruction and the umpire should call “obstruction” and signal a
delayed dead ball. The umpire will award R1 the base or bases she would have reached in the umpire’s
judgment had there been no obstruction. In (c), this is normal defensive communications. (3-43, 8-13, 8-
15-B-4, 10-5, 11-2-A)
SITUATION B: R1 attempts to steal second. F2, upon receiving the pitch, throws a pop-up to F6. F5 yells
“get back get back”. R1 thinks B2 has hit a pop-up and starts back to first where she is tagged out.
RULING: This is verbal obstruction on F5. The umpire should call “obstruction” and signal a delayed dead
ball. The umpire will call time when R1 is tagged out and award her the base or bases she would have
reached in the umpire’s judgment had there been no obstruction. (3-4; 8-13, 8-15-B-4, 10-5)
In addition, F2 is guilty of unsportsmanlike conduct and is ejected (11-2-R)

Winter boredom and didn't even think to look in a case book :roll: ... Have you ever seen Verbal OBS called or called it yourself ? Cases seem like a stretch, but probably happen.
GIMNEPIWO

by PDad » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:23 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
PDad wrote:I expected an umpire to point out ARod committed interference, not obstruction. They're usually quick to pounce on that...

You're right, however it wasn't there when I read your response because I almost posted at that time...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:25 am

Cannot ever remember seeing it called nor have I called it.
Comp

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:34 am

PDad wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:

You're right, however it wasn't there when I read your response because I almost posted at that time...

Ahhhh .. Yeah, I got sidetracked, came back and added that before someone else did :lol: You caught me in the tweener ;)
GIMNEPIWO

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner