Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Embarrassed to ask this one....

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by SkidMarks » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:51 pm

Situation: opposing runners on 1st and 3rd, 2 outs, 2 strikes (1-2 I believe), when pitching coach says 'I got her on a change right here'. I think that through for a moment and decide that it is a good call because there is a runner occupying first with no intentions to steal, so if it is in the dirt and she swings, we are good, no throw necessary.

Well, of course she swung at the change, the ball hit the plate and got to the backstop, runner on third scored easily, runner on first easily advanced to second and batter was easily safe with no throw.

The argument that ensued (civil) was that I felt that since 1st was occupied, the batter was out when she swung at the third strike. Very animated and convincing opposing coach said that since there were two outs, she has the right to run.

We shrugged and let them have it (friendly), but did not get a clear verification from the blues. Was I wrong to assume that she would be out on a dropped third with 1st occupied and two outs. Obviously, we will adjust pitch calls based on this....

SM
SkidMarks

by MTR » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:30 pm

SkidMarks wrote:Situation: opposing runners on 1st and 3rd, 2 outs, 2 strikes (1-2 I believe), when pitching coach says 'I got her on a change right here'. I think that through for a moment and decide that it is a good call because there is a runner occupying first with no intentions to steal, so if it is in the dirt and she swings, we are good, no throw necessary.

Well, of course she swung at the change, the ball hit the plate and got to the backstop, runner on third scored easily, runner on first easily advanced to second and batter was easily safe with no throw.

The argument that ensued (civil) was that I felt that since 1st was occupied, the batter was out when she swung at the third strike. Very animated and convincing opposing coach said that since there were two outs, she has the right to run.

We shrugged and let them have it (friendly), but did not get a clear verification from the blues. Was I wrong to assume that she would be out on a dropped third with 1st occupied and two outs. Obviously, we will adjust pitch calls based on this....

SM

Good, because the opposing coach is correct. BTW, this is a no brainer that is basically common knowledge at all levels of FP softball and baseball.
MTR

by SkidMarks » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:36 pm

MTR wrote:
SkidMarks wrote:Situation: opposing runners on 1st and 3rd, 2 outs, 2 strikes (1-2 I believe), when pitching coach says 'I got her on a change right here'. I think that through for a moment and decide that it is a good call because there is a runner occupying first with no intentions to steal, so if it is in the dirt and she swings, we are good, no throw necessary.

SM

Good, because the opposing coach is correct. BTW, this is a no brainer that is basically common knowledge at all levels of FP softball and baseball.

Thanks....I sorta felt like I had brain farted, and when I went to verify that, I was met with confirmation of my own argument (from my peeps), I should have and now, know better.

SM
SkidMarks

by MTR » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:40 pm

SkidMarks wrote:
Thanks....I sorta felt like I had brain farted, and when I went to verify that, I was met with confirmation of my own argument (from my peeps), I should have and now, know better.

SM

No big deal, we all occasionally get something in our head that just will not go away.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:49 pm

MTR wrote:
SkidMarks wrote:

SM

No big deal, we all occasionally get something in our head that just will not go away.

I find that smacking myself in the forehead and saying " WTF was I thinking ?" tends to help ... :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Return to The Umpire Corner