Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

BOO Question

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by ziggymom » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:22 am

We had a batting out of order situation during a tournament this weekend that I would appreciate your thoughts on (14U/ASA). Girl up to bat is #14, according to line-up card it should be #44 and #14 should be next. Do the whole thing when #14 gets on base, before first pitch, etc. We are informed that the other team has the wrong numbers down for these two girls, but their names are correct on the card, so the line-up is fine and no BOO by rule and that, technically, teams are not required to provide numbers. Is this correct? If so, how is an opposing team ever supposed to know if BOO is occurring? And, short of asking for identification, how does the opposing team know if their names really are correct on the line-up card? If the coach says “Oh, that really is Susie and that’s what name we have down here” how does the other team know that “Susie” really is “Katie” and they’ve just done some CYA?

This just seems like a very odd rule, since most other sports have specific penalties for player number violations.

Thank you for your help!
ziggymom

by wadeintothem » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:32 am

All championship rostered players have ASA ID cards. Player eligibility/player protests are handled through the TD, not the umpire. Numbers are required and in fact there are specific requirements (ie no 3 digit numbers etc); however, simple number corrections are made on the field. I dont have an answer for a "but how" follow up if a coach is cheating and lying about his lineup.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by ziggymom » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:53 am

Thank you for this information! So, is it correct that, as long as the player's name was correct on the line-up card, the batting order is OK (no BOO) and the number makes no difference in this instance? (Late tourney, early Monday...I hope I'm not asking a stupid question here!)
ziggymom

by wadeintothem » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:57 am

Coaches get the numbers wrong all the time.

The numbers can be corrected on the field and there is no penalty.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by MTR » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:02 am

ziggymom wrote:Thank you for this information! So, is it correct that, as long as the player's name was correct on the line-up card, the batting order is OK (no BOO) and the number makes no difference in this instance? (Late tourney, early Monday...I hope I'm not asking a stupid question here!)

The player's name is the default as they are the eligible participant, not just anyone wearing a specific number.
MTR

by Crabby_Bob » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:46 pm

A sharp scorekeeper will listen to what the coaches and bench players call her. If they're going so far as to call "Susie", "Katie", I don't think there is any way to fix it, short of a card-check.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

Return to The Umpire Corner