Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

becoming an umpire

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by pixsguy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:23 pm

so ive decided to switch sides...ive cut my kid loose to the other coaches and now its time to get started on my retirement gig...umpiring...so cal...where do i get started?
pixsguy
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:10 am

Wade, MTR and UmpinVa were and continue to be helpful to me .... I'm sure they'll chime in ... but it seems to me, here in VA all the clinics and registration took place in Jan-March ... and from my short experience I will say that you will see the game from an entirely new perspective ... I am still Coaching but this weekend is our first Tourny since donning the powder blue ... I am curious to see if my demeanor towards a blown call will be as affected as I think it will be ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by wadeintothem » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:25 am

For ASA
Contact one of the (your area) district UICs located on this page:
http://www.socal-asa.com/index.php?ct=umpire_info

They will give you info on what you can do and if there is any potential work either now and for fall ball.

If you are interested in slow pitch or adult fast pitch, there could be potential there as well.

For ASA and NFHS, clinics are held Jan - Mar as was already said.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by SoCalASABlue » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:51 am

I also became an umpire to better understand the rules and improve understanding of fastpitch for the time when I am a manager and/or coach.

You do have to go to the mechanics and rules clinics, as well as pass the annual umpire test, to be certified for ASA championship play. Obviously you need to find an umpiring organization that can assign you games. If you are not interested in championship play, but only want to do rec ball, all you really need to do is pass the annual umpire test. You might even find rec ball leagues that will let you umpire without even passing the test.

It's a great way to stay involved with and give back to the sport even if your own kids are not playing anymore.

A few words of warning if you go full bore and find an association, go to the clinics, and take the annual open book test...you'll be told that all coaches are idiots and don't know the rules, that the strike zone should be nose to toes since no girl can really pitch until 12U or higher even though YouTube and other social networking sites have videos that clearly show 7-8 year olds being taught to pitch illegally, and that every close pitch is a strike and every close play is an out so you don't have to work longer than the "no new inning" time limit that applies to a particular game.
SoCalASABlue

by pixsguy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:13 pm

thanks for all the input and "head-up"...found an organization through an old coach, found a mentor to help me get in the loop, and signed up for rookie camp next month...on my way to the other side...yay?!
pixsguy
Premium Member
Premium Member

by luv2ump » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:01 pm

Be prepared for criticism and you need to have thick skin, do not fraternize with the players & coaches, ALWAYS look sharp, spit shin your shoes and take care of your equipment. I recommend that you exercise/ conditioning, sometimes you work about 5 to 6 games a day or more on the weekends, eat healthy and plenty of water due to the warm weather. DON'T TAKE VERBAL ABUSE! Try reading a section a day by the end of the week you will have more knowledge than you did before. get in front of a mirror and practice your mechanics. Work on you vocals, work on you strike zone.FOLLOW THE BALL WITH YOUR EYES AND NOT YOUR HEAD!
GOOD LUCK.
luv2ump

by MTR » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:19 pm

luv2ump wrote:Be prepared for criticism and you need to have thick skin, do not fraternize with the players & coaches, ALWAYS look sharp, spit shin your shoes and take care of your equipment. I recommend that you exercise/ conditioning, sometimes you work about 5 to 6 games a day or more on the weekends, eat healthy and plenty of water due to the warm weather. DON'T TAKE VERBAL ABUSE! Try reading a section a day by the end of the week you will have more knowledge than you did before. get in front of a mirror and practice your mechanics. Work on you vocals, work on you strike zone.FOLLOW THE BALL WITH YOUR EYES AND NOT YOUR HEAD!
GOOD LUCK.

Follow the ball with your nose! Not moving your head is extremely old school, thoroughly discounted and not part of any softball mechanics of which I am aware. Track the ball to the glove, ground or bat.
MTR

by Supersuds » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:38 pm

MTR wrote:
luv2ump wrote:Be prepared for criticism and you need to have thick skin, do not fraternize with the players & coaches, ALWAYS look sharp, spit shin your shoes and take care of your equipment. I recommend that you exercise/ conditioning, sometimes you work about 5 to 6 games a day or more on the weekends, eat healthy and plenty of water due to the warm weather. DON'T TAKE VERBAL ABUSE! Try reading a section a day by the end of the week you will have more knowledge than you did before. get in front of a mirror and practice your mechanics. Work on you vocals, work on you strike zone.FOLLOW THE BALL WITH YOUR EYES AND NOT YOUR HEAD!GOOD LUCK.

Follow the ball with your nose! Not moving your head is extremely old school, thoroughly discounted and not part of any softball mechanics of which I am aware. Track the ball to the glove, ground or bat.

Old school vs New school....So which is better ?
Snapcracklepop
Supersuds

by wadeintothem » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:13 pm

Well, if he is an ASA umpire, its not a matter of old school vs new school or opinion of such. Tracking is required in both ASA and NCAA mechanics.

Thats how you do it. Its what is taught by National Staff, the umpire manual, and the NCAA manual.

But I dont know how much this person has umpired or for which orgs.

I would hope advice on umpiring mechanics would be limited until such time as the information provider has attended modern SOFTBALL umpiring clinics.

Its very much the same with the statements above re: dumb coaches etc.

Some coaches will run circles around umpires and know this game - especially when you get into working with the top level travel orgs, so umpires would do well to open that book and know the game and not underestimate the coaches.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Supersuds » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:24 pm

wadeintothem wrote:Well, if he is an ASA umpire, its not a matter of old school vs new school or opinion of such. Tracking is required in both ASA and NCAA mechanics.

Thats how you do it. Its what is taught by National Staff, the umpire manual, and the NCAA manual.

But I dont know how much this person has umpired or for which orgs.

I would hope advice on umpiring mechanics would be limited until such time as the information provider has attended modern SOFTBALL umpiring clinics.
Its very much the same with the statements above re: dumb coaches etc.

Some coaches will run circles around umpires and know this game - especially when you get into working with the top level travel orgs, so umpires would do well to open that book and know the game and not underestimate the coaches.

Well said Wade....
"Luv2ump" take note, Wade and MTR are the Gurus of umpiring. .....Back to modern umpiring softball clinics.
Snapcracklepop
Supersuds

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner