Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

On Deck Headache

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by BearFlagFan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:57 am

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:
It's what I always suspected...MTR never actually played sports, which is why he umps. What else could explain him not knowing what pepper is? :lol:

slapperdad wrote:Far be it for me to speak on MTR's behalf, but I'm pretty sure the word "pepper" doesn't appear in the rule book. Officials have to rule on the game based on the rule book and it's definitions.

Hi Slapperdad,
The OP stated that the ball was hit foul in the air toward the on-deck batter in the on-deck circle and the on-deck batter "peppered" the ball (swung her bat and hit the ball into the fence) behind her.

Again, I do not know how the rule reads on this, but I would think even if it was unintentional that there should be a rule against the on-deck batter interfering in this manner.

Thanks,
FPDad05

Interesting reading this after the exchanges. MTR is right there is no rule book definition for pepper, and FPDad05 proves the point: He writes pepper is hitting the ball into the fence. But the dictionary definition of pepper is a batter quick hits balls back to a group of fielders. (FPDad05 isn't alone. I've been to parks with NO PEPPER signs on the fence and parents and coaches explaining to kids that means they don't want them hitting balls into the fence.)

If an on-deck batter with the time and space to hit the ball out of the air to one of the fielders, then likely the fielders weren't close enough to catch the ball on the fly. Therefore it would be no different than a foul ball that rolled into the on-deck circle and the player kicked it to a fielder retrieving the ball to speed play - not smart, but not interference unless deemed so by the umpire.

If the batter hit it into the fence (FPDad05's definition of pepper) then I'd see that as an intentional act to keep the ball away from the fielders and call interference. That is why it's important to stick with rulebook definitions rather than use slang, colloquialisms or coined terms (pepper as an adjective - I.e. peppered - has no precise dictionary definition specific to ball-and-stick sports).

If this was a CIF playoff game (which is the governing body for all high school varsity sports in California), then it was played under NFHS rules and likely had very experienced and able umpires. As no call was made, then INT didn't happen no matter what anyone else believes they saw.
BearFlagFan

by MTR » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:55 am

exD1dad wrote:Hey MTR I was playing pickle in Detroit as early as 1966 , never called it a rundown but pepper? well didn't start that until '68 when the Tigers won the world series & they painted all the mailboxes & fire hydrants Tiger black & Orange :D

Now look at what was the 4th largest city in the country back then :cry:

One of the truest quotes from any movie came from Burt Reynolds in Smokey and the Bandit:

Bandit: [Bandit and Frog walking through the wooded area] When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.
MTR

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner