Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Batter/runner on dropped third strike

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by bigsig » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:16 pm

If, in the umpires judgement, the BR did interfere with the catchers PICKOFF through, you could have a call of interference by a retired runner, in which case the runner closest to home would be ruled out.
bigsig

by KerryB » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:54 am

im with bigsig......the OP stated.. " The runner at first has a little too big of a lead and my catcher throws to first to pick her off"..the throw to first was an attempt to pick off the runner and the batter/runner, who had no business running, interfered with the defensive players opportunity to make a play on the runner. id lean more to interference than i would DMC
KerryB

by MTR » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:54 am

KerryB wrote:im with bigsig......the OP stated.. " The runner at first has a little too big of a lead and my catcher throws to first to pick her off"..the throw to first was an attempt to pick off the runner and the batter/runner, who had no business running, interfered with the defensive players opportunity to make a play on the runner. id lean more to interference than i would DMC

So you would advocate target practice on the retired batter for an INT call and the umpire go with that? Seems to me that would be the result of basing the call on the player just not supposed to be there.

OTOH, maybe that would be a good thing as it would encourage coaches to actually learn and teach the D3K rule and when it is applicable............NAH! That ain't happening :)

As previously noted, I would like to see a cause of INT, not just the catcher throwing the ball and hitting the offensive player.
MTR

by KerryB » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:39 am

no, i wouldnt advocate target practice but im certainly not going to allow a retired batter to interfere with a pickoff attempt of a runner at first base
KerryB

by AlwaysImprove » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:18 am

MTR wrote::
OTOH, maybe that would be a good thing as it would encourage coaches to actually learn and teach the D3K rule and when it is applicable............NAH! That ain't happening :)
:

What? Of course that is not going to happen. Coaches enjoy way too much "GO!" on drop third, The big game is on the line. That kid goes flying up the line towards first base, there is that brief instant, time holds perfectly still. You are not sure what is going to happen. But you know it is going to be epic.

And since your kid is really out, and the play is really over, you have absolutely zero to loose. God does not smile on you like that very often.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:00 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:
MTR wrote::
:

What? Of course that is not going to happen. Coaches enjoy way too much "GO!" on drop third, The big game is on the line. That kid goes flying up the line towards first base, there is that brief instant, time holds perfectly still. You are not sure what is going to happen. But you know it is going to be epic.

And since your kid is really out, and the play is really over, you have absolutely zero to loose. God does not smile on you like that very often.

Allows me to appreciate the few good coaches that always remind their catcher once the count reaches two strikes if they need to throw a batter-runner out or not, not just stick down the pitch call.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:44 am

Which happens more;

1) Batter runs to an occupied base on a dropped 3

or

2) The Batter does not run on a drop 3 when they should
jonriv

by fastpitchdad05 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:32 pm

jonriv wrote:Which happens more;

1) Batter runs to an occupied base on a dropped 3

or

2) The Batter does not run on a drop 3 when they should

In my experience it's #1 because in both cases overzealous (and undereducated) fans start yelling, "Run! Run!" as soon as there's a dropped 3rd strike no matter what the situation. :D
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:11 pm

IMO, it may be time for the U3K to disappear.

Everyone wants to give an extra chance to the offense based on the excuse, "but the defense failed". However, the defense didn't fail until after the offense failed to put the ball into play whether it was a strike they failed to hit or a ball on which they failed to swing.
MTR

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner