Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Safe says blue......... uhm, I changed my mind??????

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by MTR » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:49 pm

Iluvblue wrote:Why wouldnt you do the same with a pitcher that doesnt have both feet in contact with the pitchers plate prior to a pitch then? What is the difference?

Isnt that coaching? is it your job to EVER tell a player where they are to be standing in the box? isnt there something in the book that specifically tells you NOT to do this?

Speaking ASA

The rule book states that there cannot be a pitch unless the catcher is in the catcher's box (6.5.A). It is not coaching, it is directing the player to follow the rules.

The proper way to prevent it is to not allow a pitch. After 20 seconds, you call the ball. If the catcher doesn't move into the box after that, you have a problem. By rule, you have two to choose from, the game should be forfeited (5.4.E & F). However, umpires are not looking for forfeits. The umpire should explain to the coach that the catcher needs to get into the box. If the coach blows me off and refuses to direct the catcher to enter the box., well then the game is over.

The umpire could eject the player, but not getting into the catcher's box isn't exactly UC.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:32 am

MTR wrote:
Iluvblue wrote:Why wouldnt you do the same with a pitcher that doesnt have both feet in contact with the pitchers plate prior to a pitch then? What is the difference?

Isnt that coaching? is it your job to EVER tell a player where they are to be standing in the box? isnt there something in the book that specifically tells you NOT to do this?

Speaking ASA

The rule book states that there cannot be a pitch unless the catcher is in the catcher's box (6.5.A). It is not coaching, it is directing the player to follow the rules.

The proper way to prevent it is to not allow a pitch. After 20 seconds, you call the ball. If the catcher doesn't move into the box after that, you have a problem. By rule, you have two to choose from, the game should be forfeited (5.4.E & F). However, umpires are not looking for forfeits. The umpire should explain to the coach that the catcher needs to get into the box. If the coach blows me off and refuses to direct the catcher to enter the box., well then the game is over.

The umpire could eject the player, but not getting into the catcher's box isn't exactly UC.

So MTR ... are you saying that IF the catcher is in the box. the pitcher is set to pitch and you are in the slot ... the catcher jumps up and stands outside the catchers box ... that you are killing the play, no pitch ? delay ? ... I'm not following you ... :?:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:28 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
MTR wrote:

Speaking ASA

So MTR ... are you saying that IF the catcher is in the box. the pitcher is set to pitch and you are in the slot ... the catcher jumps up and stands outside the catchers box ... that you are killing the play, no pitch ? delay ? ... I'm not following you ... :?:

I know you have a book. :) The rule dictating defense positioning clearly states the pitcher shall not deliver a pitch unless all defensive players are in fair territory with the exception of the catcher who must be within the catcher's box. Sounds pretty definitive. The rule doesn't say shouldn't or may not, it says "shall not" deliver a pitch.

So, yes, if the catcher leaves the box prior to the pitcher beginning her motion to pitch, yeah, I'm stopping her. If the pitcher has already started her motion, I'm not going to place anyone in jeopardy of injury, so in that case, I will just call the IP.

It's much like the batter not in the BB. Do you allow a pitcher to throw a pitch without the batter set in the box or do you hold up the pitcher and rule a strike after 10 seconds?
MTR

by wadeintothem » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:39 am

Also dont forget, the pitcher is on a time limit - I'm calling an IP if my time is now wasted. I've been more proactive with my IP's on pitchers this year, calling at least 3, for taking too much time. You call 1 IP for that and you wont have anymore pitchers wasting time, batters "taking control" :roll: and all this BS that goes on - they learn quick. Play ball. ASA changed the rule that runners do not advance on the "20-sec-you-are-wasting-my-life-girl-IP", so call it. They shape up. its like the miracle cure for Time wasters. For the others just telling them "You keep wasting time, i will call IP" will fix em up.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:20 pm

Okay .... got it ... thanks for being so patient with me ... although I see these things in the book ... it really helps me to discuss the situations so that the book makes sense ;)
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner