Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Safe says blue......... uhm, I changed my mind??????

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Iluvblue » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:24 pm

Why wouldnt you do the same with a pitcher that doesnt have both feet in contact with the pitchers plate prior to a pitch then? What is the difference?

Isnt that coaching? is it your job to EVER tell a player where they are to be standing in the box? isnt there something in the book that specifically tells you NOT to do this?

By the way, in the same game the pitcher was at least 6 inches or more off the back of the pitchers plate with a runner on third. The umpire was turned facing my runner and not even looking at the pitcher. I asked her to look at the pitcher for just one pitch, just one pitch instead of focusing on us so much. She wouldnt do it.

Next inning I complained to her again, now she calls time walks up to clean off the pitchers plate, we all know what she was really doing and walked away.

3 innings later with a 3-0 count on our hitter and 2 outs and nobody on she called an illegal pitch on the pitcher. A true joke of umpiring IMO. She clearly decided to call the illegal pitch when it would really have no benefit to us, but not when it really mattered.

I am going to work really hard in our area to keep this from happening. And if we cant find a way to work with our local umpires, maybe we will all just start running friendlies and hand picking our umps instead which is already starting to happen. We dont need to have ASA tournaments, the teams are all we need, and we can all get the teams and dictate our terms. This stuff is getting old.

Also have had 2 umpires come straight out and tell our 1st base coach that they will not be calling inside strikes as it is too hard for the hitters to hit that pitch, but they will be liberal on the outside.

Those umpires should NEVER umpire again.

We also had an umpire signal a strike on a rise ball that went to the backstop(batter swung). Would have been strike 3, so we fired down to first base to get the out and then the blue said, no, it was a foul ball. But you didnt signal foul ball blue, your arm clearly went up and signaled strike. He said he could do it either way.

I got more, but I am tired of typing. Been a rough 3 weeks around here due to tournaments being so big the past 3 weeks.
Iluvblue

by wadeintothem » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:30 pm

Why wouldnt you do the same with a pitcher that doesnt have both feet in contact with the pitchers plate prior to a pitch then? What is the difference?

If the pitchers plate didnt exist.. what then?
Isnt that coaching? is it your job to EVER tell a player where they are to be standing in the box? isnt there something in the book that specifically tells you NOT to do this?

If there is no box, then I manage the situation to avoid problems. It is preventative umpiring.

By the way, in the same game the pitcher was at least 6 inches or more off the back of the pitchers plate with a runner on third. The umpire was turned facing my runner and not even looking at the pitcher. I asked her to look at the pitcher for just one pitch, just one pitch instead of focusing on us so much. She wouldnt do it.

Next inning I complained to her again, now she calls time walks up to clean off the pitchers plate, we all know what she was really doing and walked away.

3 innings later with a 3-0 count on our hitter and 2 outs and nobody on she called an illegal pitch on the pitcher. A true joke of umpiring IMO. She clearly decided to call the illegal pitch when it would really have no benefit to us, but not when it really mattered.

I believe in calling it very early. First or 2nd pitch. They usually fix themselves and its not an issue. I wish all umpires did so. I got into it with a RR coach this weekend similarly.. of course I had to hear what I always hear "You are the first to ever call it".

So I feel your pain or moreso on that... because I believe the coach. I'm sure I am the first and that sucks.

I am going to work really hard in our area to keep this from happening. And if we cant find a way to work with our local umpires, maybe we will all just start running friendlies and hand picking our umps instead which is already starting to happen. We dont need to have ASA tournaments, the teams are all we need, and we can all get the teams and dictate our terms. This stuff is getting old.

Also have had 2 umpires come straight out and tell our 1st base coach that they will not be calling inside strikes as it is too hard for the hitters to hit that pitch, but they will be liberal on the outside.

Those umpires should NEVER umpire again.

check you pms in a bit I got an idea if your interested.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:48 pm

I luvblu ... not gonna go into the rules for a protest as they are written unless you need clarification ... but just wondering, in this case, did you properly protest the call ? If not, that may explain the UIC's decision ... just wondering ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Iluvblue » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:11 am

As soon as it happened I pointed it out to home blue. He didnt know what to do as he is new. I immediately asked him to get the UIC as i was protesting this.

UIC came over, they spoke, and then nothing was done. In between innings we talked and I asked him exactly what happened. he said what i posted earlier. He said she was out of box, but UIC says he now can not call it as he didnt call it when it happened. No pitches were thrown after the illegal pitch before the UIC came over. So I do not understand how this ruling is correct, and I am still waiting oon clarification.

Thoguh I think the original explanation stinks on the safe and then out call, I understand what wade says and now I know. But still nobody wants to chime in on this one.

Kind of like that thin blue line thing? :P
Iluvblue

by artomatic » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:14 am

what age group is this?
please dont take this the wrong way, but from reading many of your posts, you really seem to focus on the umpires decisions.
in my opinion, sometimes focusing on the umpires calls that go against your team can take the focus off your team and your game.
again, i understand i wasnt there, so i cant be sure, just saying thats what i get from reading your posts.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Iluvblue » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:25 am

I dont argue out and safe (RARELY ever comment on them) but I do focus on things when they are doen incorrectly. In this case, it was done incorrectly. I just want it fixed.

My teams play well and my focus is never off of what we are doing. easy to confuse that when you are only reading a post in an umpire forum froma coach that is obviously be about a play that i want clarification on.

This is 14u. And I am in 14u by choice, been in varsity HS, and coached 12-18s.
14u is where the fun is. 16u is where the job is.
Iluvblue

by artomatic » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:30 am

thanks for the clarification.
and again, thats why i asked, because unless i am there, i have no idea the atmosphere, etc.
good luck with your team.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by wadeintothem » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:51 am

You two havent played each other ever?
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Iluvblue » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:57 am

wade,

dont know who he is and who he coaches, so no way for me to know.
Iluvblue

by wadeintothem » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:02 am

You dont know art???

Hes famous! :D

He was at Fresno Force.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6543

I know I worked the championship game at FF and I know I worked a game of his but cant remember off hand if it was with him in the championship or not.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner