Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Scoring Question. Fielder's Choice or Base Hit?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by NuggDawg » Thu May 28, 2009 12:36 pm

Coach11 wrote:[. . . (Under Rule 11 Sec. 3) "A base hit shall not be scored: B) When a player fielding a batted ball retires a preceding runner with ordinary effort"

And I think this may be where some confusion may arise as well. It would be in the scorers judgement as to whether "ordinary effort" led to the force out at second base.

Woha! Ordinary effort! That's the ASA language here, but doesn't it then lead to complete weirdness? If F8 lobs the ball into 2nd and gets the force (ordinary effort), no hit; but if F8 dives to knock the ball down, leaps to her feet and rifles a bullet to 2nd (extraordinary effort) to retire the runner, that's a hit?! Completely backwards. I'd just as soon leave the ASA out of this.

In New Yorker's lingo, let me tell ya what we're gunna do here. FC is the way ya score the AB, if ya know what I mean. :D
NuggDawg

by wadeintothem » Thu May 28, 2009 1:46 pm

Just a guess since I lack scoring skills and pretty much think everything is a fielders choice...

If youre sitting under the rainbow umprella sucking down a slurpie and eating fried pork lathered with peppered grease sauce and have a kid playing on the offense - its a base hit.

If youre sitting under the rainbow umprella sucking down a slurpie and eating fried pork lathered with peppered grease sauce and have a kid playing on the defense - its a fielders choice.

:twisted:
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu May 28, 2009 7:27 pm

(Cue Music) : Somewhere Under The Rainbow
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by coolstuff » Fri May 29, 2009 10:46 am

artomatic wrote:What if the batter is your own kid?

Then it's a hit everytime she reaches base safely, no matter what else happens on the field. At least that's what I tell her.
coolstuff

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri May 29, 2009 2:45 pm

coolstuff wrote:
artomatic wrote:What if the batter is your own kid?

Then it's a hit everytime she reaches base safely, no matter what else happens on the field. At least that's what I tell her.

Not mine ... no one better have remotely come near the ball or it's going in the book as an 'E' ... :lol: ... It brings me great amusement to torture DD's from the age of 11 to 18 ... embarrassment being my preferred form of torture, but when all else fails stat manipulation can be hilarious ... LMAOWIOAB :!: :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner