The Umpire Corner

Ilegal pitch question?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu May 28, 2009 3:45 am

wadeintothem wrote:B1 out
B2 taken off base, everyone returned.
B2 is up.

B3
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Thu May 28, 2009 5:02 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
B2 is up.

B3

No, it is B2. The scenario changed a few posts back which allowed that the improper batter did not make an out, but hit safely.

In this case, when properly appealed, B1 is out for failing to bat. The improper batter's actions and that of all runners which advanced safely are negated. Since B2's at bat did not "officially" exist, that player is the next batter due up.
MTR

by wadeintothem » Thu May 28, 2009 5:04 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
B2 is up.

B3

No bro, its B2. In the 2nd Scenario B2 reached 1B safely (and presumably properly appealed).

B2 is removed from the base.

B1 is out, so the batter following B1 is up (exception if B2 was retired on the play, she cant be out twice so B3 would be up.) Thats both ASA and NFHS.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu May 28, 2009 7:22 pm

wadeintothem wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
B2 is up.

B3

No bro, its B2. In the 2nd Scenario B2 reached 1B safely (and presumably properly appealed).

B2 is removed from the base.

B1 is out, so the batter following B1 is up (exception if B2 was retired on the play, she cant be out twice so B3 would be up.) Thats both ASA and NFHS.

I thought that is what we were saying ... I'll re-read it ... my bad
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Sftbll4ever » Fri May 29, 2009 6:20 am

Ok, I have one:

HS game bases loaded, PU give pitcher a new ball (fresh out of the wrapper), pitcher asks for another, but the other is a brand new ball too. Pitcher not happy, takes ball and rolls it in the dirt.

What's the call?
Sftbll4ever

by wadeintothem » Fri May 29, 2009 7:39 am

The rule is you cant apply a foreign substance to the ball..

So guess what you could run into?

Some idiot umpire who calls this.

Usually the P is just trying to get the sheen off so then they put it in their glove and all the dirt is essentially wiped away..

And I got nothing on this.

Hold the ball in your glove, dump dirt on it, then deliver the pitch.. that to me is applying a foreign substance to the ball.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by MTR » Fri May 29, 2009 10:23 am

Sftbll4ever wrote:Ok, I have one:

HS game bases loaded, PU give pitcher a new ball (fresh out of the wrapper), pitcher asks for another, but the other is a brand new ball too. Pitcher not happy, takes ball and rolls it in the dirt.

What's the call?

DMU. The umpire should have scuffed/wiped down the balls before making them available for play. Since this didn't happen, when the pitcher complain, it should have been done then.

Rubbing/rolling the ball in the dirt does not remove the sheen evenly and can damage the cover.
MTR

by KekambuS » Fri May 29, 2009 12:02 pm

[quote="Izzy's Dad"]Had this happen this weekend. USSSA 12U. Opposing team pitcher goes thru her wind up, then stops, and does not release the ball. Umpires call dead ball. We had runners on 1st and 2nd. Coaches argue (nicely) that it is an illegal pitch and runners should advance. Umpires did not give this to us. I looked for it in the rules, and cannot find it. Can someone cite the rule on this? We play ASA and USSSA, and the coaches are fairly new to USSSA. BTW, it did not affect the outcome of the game, we won 9-3.[/quote

They should advance to the next base. The pitcher has to release the ball. Even if she release’s the ball and it drops on the ground in front of her that’s ok. It becomes a live ball and also is a ball. But a lot better than runners advancing.
KekambuS

by TNUmp » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:08 pm

This is a illegal in USSSA also. Same penalty as ASA and NFHS
TNUmp

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner