Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Thrown Bat

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by ice_67 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:32 am

ASA rules, Can an umpire call the batter out for a thrown bat?

Two scenerios.

1. Batter hits ball and throws her bat by mistake. Bat ends up against the backstop.
2. R1 on 3rd, squeeze play, pitcher throws ball wide of the plate and batter squares to bunt and has to toss tha bat to make contact.
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

by wadeintothem » Tue May 19, 2009 10:45 am

Speaking ASA

No rules against either thing you posted.

Throwing it in anger = USC
Discarding it in a manner than interferes with the defense making a play. is interference. For your second scenario - I would consider it an attempt, not discarding the bat... but there could be a debate here.

No INT or USC = no rule.

This situation came up this weekend.. and upon talking to the umpire I found out that in their rec league, their rec league does have that rule. I do think this is a myth perpetuated by special league rules.

Also, umpires dont like to get hit by bats and its dangerous so some umps just do it to teach a lesson. An umpire invented rule.

In championship play:

Ejection .. a possibility.
Out ... not without interference.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by ice_67 » Tue May 19, 2009 11:07 am

Wade,

Thanks for the info. It would have been interesting to see a batter toss her bat on a squeeze play, make contact, ball roll into fair territory and see all hell break loose after the play.
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

by wadeintothem » Tue May 19, 2009 11:36 am

No prob -
Releasing a bat on a bat is not an uncommon form of a bunt.

All hell always breaks loose on a good squeeze..

Thats why they are fun plays!
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu May 21, 2009 6:17 am

I brought this up under another thread ( throwing a bat to make contact ) , because my fellow Coach inquired ... his query was a pitched ball rolling on the ground, would it be legal for a batter to throw the bat at the ball in order to make a contact ... and as Wade pointed out, and it was pointed out on 'the other site', that it is a legal play ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Thu May 21, 2009 9:58 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:I brought this up under another thread ( throwing a bat to make contact ) , because my fellow Coach inquired ... his query was a pitched ball rolling on the ground, would it be legal for a batter to throw the bat at the ball in order to make a contact ... and as Wade pointed out, and it was pointed out on 'the other site', that it is a legal play ...

However, before everyone starts throwing their bat at the pitch, if the batter's foot is outside of the batter's box at the time the bat contacts the ball, the batter is out. There is no requirement for the bat to be in the batter's hand for this rule to apply.
MTR

Return to The Umpire Corner