Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

DEFO/FLEX PLAYER..HOW DOES iT WORK???

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by iBCOACHT » Sun May 17, 2009 6:35 pm

i WOULD LiKE TO HAVE EXPLAiNED TO ME THE "LEGAL" WAY TO UTiLiZE THE DEFO/FLEX PLAYER. CAN ANY ONE HELP PLEASE??? TiFF<3
iBCOACHT

by Comp » Sun May 17, 2009 7:25 pm

It would take forever to describe it in detail, but best thing you could do is get the rule book and read it.

Basically, the DP is an offensive player, and the Flex is a defensive player. The DP must be listed as one of the 9 batters, and the Flex must be 10th on the line up card. The must be listed at the beginning of the game to be used. The DP can play defense for any player on the team other than the flex without it counting as a subtitution. If the dp plays defense for the flex, the flex has left the game, but the dp has not. The flex can also bat for the dp, but then the dp has left the game, but the flex has not. The line up can change back and forth between 9 and 10 any number of times during the game.

There are a few more little intracacies that go with it, but that is the basics of it in a nutshell.
Comp

by umpinva » Sun May 17, 2009 7:29 pm

iBCOACHT wrote:i WOULD LiKE TO HAVE EXPLAiNED TO ME THE "LEGAL" WAY TO UTiLiZE THE DEFO/FLEX PLAYER. CAN ANY ONE HELP PLEASE??? TiFF<3

SORRY....I CAN'T HEAR YOU!
umpinva

by artomatic » Sun May 17, 2009 8:59 pm

I found this old file i had from my 2005 10u star season.
It has all the basics...
Remember, the DP and the flex are "married" to each other in the batting order...

**Right now, I'm more concerned with the earthquake that just sent us all outside than how accurate this old file is...it's probably pretty accurate. I can tell you it makes more sense after a few seasons of coaching...

The DP/Flex Rule

The DP/FLEX does not have to be used. If used, the DP's name shall be listed in the batting order anywhere in the first
nine (9) positions on the lineup card given to the umpire before the game. The FLEX's name and defensive position shall
be listed on the lineup card on the bottom of the order in the tenth position.
All starting players (including the DP and the FLEX) can leave and re-enter (in the same position on the lineup card) the
lineup one time.
All substitutes can enter the lineup, leave, and then en-enter (in the same position on the lineup card) the lineup one time.

ON OFFENSE:1) The DP and FLEX can never be on offense at the same time.
2) The FLEX can never play offense only.
3) If the FLEX enters the batting order, it must be in the
DP's spot in the lineup.
a. This is considered a substitution and must be reported to the umpire.
b. The coach has the option of re-entering the starting DP one time.
c. If the starting DP re-enters, the FLEX returns to the tenth position on the lineup card, and the DP returns to the position in the batting order that she previously occupied. Because the DP has left the game and re-entered, her re-entry eligibility is removed for the remainder of the game. Because the FLEX has not left the game, her re-entry eligibility has not been affected.
4) If the DP (or her substitute) is replaced by a substitute
other than the FLEX, the substitute must enter the
batting order in the DP's batting spot.
a. The substitute becomes the new DP and has all the
- - abilities and responsibilities the original DP,
including the ability to leave the game and re-enter
"* one time.
b. Every DP removed from the batting order has the ability to re-enter one time. If she does, she must re-enter in the same position in the batting order that she earlier left. At this time she assumes all the responsibilities of the DP role.
5) If the FLEX enters the batting order while a substitute for the DP is in the game, the substitute for the DP must leave the game and the FLEX must bat in the DP's batting position.
a. If any removed DPs re-enter back into the DP position in the batting order, the FLEX returns back to the tenth position on the lineup card. Because the FLEX has never left the game, the FLEX's re¬entry eligibility is unaffected.
6) NOTE: When anyone enters (or re-enters) the DP position as a batter and fielder, this is considered as substitituting for the DP and the FLEX at the same time. The FLEX will also leave the game and the team will play with nine players. The FLEX can re-enter later only if she has re-entry eligibility.

ON DEFENSE:1) The DP can never play defense only.
2) The DP does not have to play defense.
3) If the DP pitches, she is also subject to the regulations imposed on the pitcher.
4) If the DP plays defense for any player other than the FLEX, it is not a substitution, a. The coach does not have to tell the umpire of the
switch (In NCAA, it must be reported), b. The defensive player who was replaced by the DP
is still in the game offensively, and must bat for
herself, c. The DP will play defense for that player and bat for
the FLEX, d. The DP and the FLEX will then play on defense at
the same time.
5) If the DP plays defense for the FLEX, it is considered a substitution. a. The coach must tell the umpire of the substitution
and the lineup will now have nine (9) players, b. All nine players in the batting order will play
defense for themselves.
c. The coach may re-enter the starting FLEX one time, d. If the FLEX re-enters, the DP will reassume her
role as the DP and the FLEX will reassume her role
in the tenth position on the lineup card. The DP's
re-entry eligibility is unaffected.
6) If a player, other than the DP substitutes for the FLEX, the substitute will become the new FLEX and assume all of the abilities and responsibilities of the original starting FLEX.
a. If the replaced FLEX is able to re-enter, she may do so one time. At that time, the person currently occupying the FLEX position is removed and the person entering the ballgame assumes the tenth position on the lineup card.

If a starting player, other than the DP or FLEX, is injured and must leave the game, and there are no available substitutes, neither the DP nor the FLEX can take their place in the batting order. However, the DP may play defense for the injured player. In this case, the team will play defense with nine players and bat with eight. An out shall be called every time the injured player's vacant spot comes up in the batting order.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon May 18, 2009 4:42 am

artomatic wrote:**Right now, I'm more concerned with the earthquake that just sent us all outside than how accurate this old file is...

Are you sure it was an earthquake ? ... maybe it was Bonezmom's new Avatar sitting down ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by residentump » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:14 pm

Artomatic,

Ha Ha, Wow. That brings back memories. I haven't seen that file in years. I wrote that little blurb for a rules differences disussion (now taken over by the God John Bennett) about 10 years ago and I used to see it put out every now and then. It brings back a smile when I see that it is still used. Wow.

I always thought that it was easier to understand the DP/Flex (or DP/Defo, remember those days?) if you kept the offense and defense sectored. Once you mixed them up, you mise it all up.

Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Smokey
residentump

by wadeintothem » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:41 am

lookie who is getting all over the internets :D

Glad to see ya post smokey.. welcome to the bucket.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Jalamander » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:08 am

iBCOACHT wrote:I would like to have explained to me the "legal" way to utilize the DEFO/FLEX player. Can any one help please???
Several have given you the rules governing the DP/FLEX positions. But, why would you want to use the DP/FLEX?
Jalamander

by Bucket Butt » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:22 am

I had an ump tell me the flex had to be in the batting order and the DP was the was the 10th. player. I NEW WE WERE IN FOR A LONG GAME..
Bucket Butt

by jefe » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:06 pm

Jalamander wrote:
iBCOACHT wrote:I would like to have explained to me the "legal" way to utilize the DEFO/FLEX player. Can any one help please???
Several have given you the rules governing the DP/FLEX positions. But, why would you want to use the DP/FLEX?

The OP was a young female rec all star coach trying to understand this going into a tournament weekend back in spring(note orginal posting date right b4 Memorial day weekend). Nice kid but she is probably long gone by now.
jefe

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner