Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

please give me the call..............

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by ps18gold » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:24 pm

2 outs, runner at 3rd base, hitter hits a ball foul down the 3rd base side of the field, runner coming off the bag in foul territory, bumps into the 3rd baseman and interfers with a possible catch of the ball...........ump calls interference, 3rd out....inning over. The next inning does the batter come up again? or better yet who is out? Remember this is High School ball in San Diego California.
ps18gold

by Comp » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:29 am

The runner is out for interference, and if not for being the 3rd out, the batter would have been awarded 1st base. However, since this was the third out, the batter has completed her at bat and in the next inning the next batter in the order would be up.
Comp

by Coach11 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:31 am

Comp wrote:The runner is out for interference, and if not for being the 3rd out, the batter would have been awarded 1st base. However, since this was the third out, the batter has completed her at bat and in the next inning the next batter in the order would be up.

Why in the world would the batter have been awarded first base?
Coach11

by Comp » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:53 am

My bad, was thinking fair ball. Helps to read the post when not dead tired.

Runner is out on the interference. Since a foul ball, the batter would still be at bat.

NFHS Section 6 Art 10b. A runner is out when: The runner interferes with a fielder attempting to field a fly ball over foul territory.

The only way the batter would be out is if the interference had been by an offensive team member other than a runner.
Comp

by jtat32 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:18 am

Not sure what the rule for San Diego HS is, but I found this for our local rec league:

"... an official timeout of 15 minutes is called and runner and fielder are instructed to enter designated "conflict resolution zone" and discuss their feelings regarding the incident. During this period, parents may advocate on their child's behalf, unless their advocation advocates against the other participating child's behalf. Following this period, runner on 3rd is returned to 3rd, pending mutual agreement of all involved parties. As during normal game play, runner on third is not allowed to advance on an aggressive play, i.e. batted ball, walk, HBP, etc. The inning ends when all players for both teams have sufficiently enhanced their self esteem and may return to the dugout to collect their trophy for participating in the inning."

Hope this was helpful, and yes I understand that this is not the forum to vent, but I feel a little better now.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:43 am

TFF jtat32 ... :idea: ... we still need one of those biting sarcasm Emoticons ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by umpinva » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:05 am

jtat32 wrote:Not sure what the rule for San Diego HS is, but I found this for our local rec league:

"... an official timeout of 15 minutes is called and runner and fielder are instructed to enter designated "conflict resolution zone" and discuss their feelings regarding the incident. During this period, parents may advocate on their child's behalf, unless their advocation advocates against the other participating child's behalf. Following this period, runner on 3rd is returned to 3rd, pending mutual agreement of all involved parties. As during normal game play, runner on third is not allowed to advance on an aggressive play, i.e. batted ball, walk, HBP, etc. The inning ends when all players for both teams have sufficiently enhanced their self esteem and may return to the dugout to collect their trophy for participating in the inning."

Hope this was helpful, and yes I understand that this is not the forum to vent, but I feel a little better now.

Wow....you had me at not sure!
umpinva

Return to The Umpire Corner