Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

whats the call?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by fastpitch7 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:31 pm

runner on 3rd, pitcher delivers pitch it hits the catchers glove and rolls about 2 feet right behind the batter. the batter takes her foot and steps out of batters box to look for the next sign and kicks the ball about 6-8 feet further. runner on 3rd comes home.

whats the correct call? (ASA rules)

thanks
fastpitch7

by daylightkate » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:43 pm

My guess is batters out because it was still a live play and batter interfered by stepping into the live ball.
daylightkate

by MTR » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:36 am

fastpitch7 wrote:runner on 3rd, pitcher delivers pitch it hits the catchers glove and rolls about 2 feet right behind the batter. the batter takes her foot and steps out of batters box to look for the next sign and kicks the ball about 6-8 feet further. runner on 3rd comes home.

The batter is out. Two rules could apply based on the location of the ball using 7.6.P (hindering the catcher from catching or throwing the ball while out of the batter's box) or 7.6.Q (actively hindering the catcher while in the batter's box).

The humerous(to umpires)/sad(to participants) part here is that if the runner did not attempt to score, there would have been no INT.
MTR

by fastpitch7 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:07 am

thanks, I was watching a game yesterday where that happened. I know the batter did it by accident, but I figured the run should not have been allowed to score. the ump didn't call anything. run scored. lopsided game so it didn't matter.
fastpitch7

Return to The Umpire Corner