Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

NFHS Cold Weather Umpire Attire

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:44 pm

I do not know ALL the info but: This spring has been unusually damp and cold in VA. ... First few games were snowed out and I only remember 2 days of decent softball weather ... and one of those was a Sunday ... I got an E-Mail from one of the Blues in our local organization apologizing for his wearing a stocking cap while officiating a game last week ( there were complaints ) ... I'm am looking for feedback as well as voicing my opinion that there should be approved stocking caps or nomex hoods like I've seen MLB Blues wear ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by umpinva » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:17 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:I'm am looking for feedback as well as voicing my opinion that there should be approved stocking caps or nomex hoods like I've seen MLB Blues wear ...

These have been approved by the various umpire associations I work for. There are many sports officials suppliers that have similiar merchandise.

McDavid Thermal Hood: http://www.gerrydavis.com/Merchant2/mer ... y_Code=CWG

FH - FOUL WEATHER HOOD: http://www.honigs.com/browse_products.asp?Cat=1&Sub=92
umpinva

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:23 pm

Do you know if either are approved by VHSL ( NFHS ) ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Bretman » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:30 pm

Did the umpire wear a stocking cap instead of the official hat? Or was the required hat worn over top of it?

Hard to tell what another state of association might require in the way of uniforms. They're pretty much free to adopt whatever standards they choose. There could be as many different standards as there are states, with local associations tweaking those requirements.

My state's uniform standards mention nothing about thermal hoods. They are neither officially banned nor allowed. I have never seen nor heard of any problems associated with an official wearing one.

Personally, I would not have a problem with the thermal hood worn beneath the official hat. If you're going to play games in weather cold enough to require thermal gear, then let the umpires wear thermal gear! To some degree, the comfort of the officials will directly relate to the quality of their officiating.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:58 pm

That's sort of what I was thinking ... and I haven't spoken to our interim UIC yet ... but I see nothing in the NHFC rulebook about approved thermal headgear , and evidentely, this Blue took quite a bit of heat about the cold weather cap ( which I believe was just a street cap ) ...
GIMNEPIWO

by slapperdad » Sat May 02, 2009 10:56 am

Man up!

Seriously, I don't see an issue with wearing a bella clava under the standard hat. But man if it's that cold, do you need to be playing Softball?
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat May 02, 2009 4:48 pm

What I've heard through the vine of grapes was that it was a Carolina Blue stocking cap ... and that his picture appeared in the local paper in the near background of a play being made ... So I'm assuming that it was worn in lieu of his official cap and not under it ...
Last edited by GIMNEPIWO on Sun May 03, 2009 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIMNEPIWO

by GSB » Sat May 02, 2009 8:23 pm

Man,

I am glad I live in Socal. If its so cold that the blue needs a hood, we just call the game. LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
To each their own.
GSB

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun May 03, 2009 6:17 am

GSB wrote:Man,

I am glad I live in Socal. If its so cold that the blue needs a hood, we just call the game. LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

HS has been playing since mid March here in VA. ... and only the last 2 weeks have been what you might consider 'softball weather' ... rainy, windy, snow flurries ... the first week of scrimmage games were snowed out .....
GIMNEPIWO

Return to The Umpire Corner