Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Diving into first

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by wadeintothem » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:29 pm

MDSoftball wrote:
wadeintothem wrote:Yep, thats correct. I do wish ASA would follow suit to line up with the others.

I thought you were saying they couldnt dive back in NFHS which of course they can.

That is why I quoted him talking about the bunt rule.

My bad homie. I didnt read it as closely as I should have.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by MDSoftball » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:53 pm

wadeintothem wrote:
MDSoftball wrote:
wadeintothem wrote:Yep, thats correct. I do wish ASA would follow suit to line up with the others.

I thought you were saying they couldnt dive back in NFHS which of course they can.

That is why I quoted him talking about the bunt rule.

My bad homie. I didnt read it as closely as I should have.

Just messing with ya. I wear the blue shirt on the weekends too, so it is nice to get to be the picker instead of the pickee every once in awhile.
MDSoftball

by MTR » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:18 pm

SnocatzDad wrote:2009 NFHS SOFTBALL RULES CHANGES

ART. 2…Attempted Bunt. Holding of the bat in the strike zone is considered an attempted bunt. In order to take a pitch, the bat must be withdrawn – pulled backward and away from the ball.

Rationale: Changing the definition will make the bunt attempt easier for an umpire to determine and creates a better balance between offense and defense.

Ludicrous change and even more ludicrous reasoning.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:13 am

MTR wrote:
SnocatzDad wrote:2009 NFHS SOFTBALL RULES CHANGES

ART. 2…Attempted Bunt. Holding of the bat in the strike zone is considered an attempted bunt. In order to take a pitch, the bat must be withdrawn – pulled backward and away from the ball.

Rationale: Changing the definition will make the bunt attempt easier for an umpire to determine and creates a better balance between offense and defense.

Ludicrous change and even more ludicrous reasoning.

I thought so too ... how long before you think it is un-changed :?:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by wadeintothem » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:46 am

I agree in principle; however, when NCAA and NFHS both have the rule one way, it may be time to think about the change just for consistency for JO players. Its a fairly common rule across the land in many many rule sets; ASA is kind of the odd duck out on this one.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by coolstuff » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:12 am

So what is the advantage to sliding headfirst into 1st? Is it quicker than running at full speed through the base? My opinion without any actual research to back it up, is "no." Considering that the original purpose of a slide at any other base is to avoid a tag, and not necessarily to get to the bag any quicker. That is just my opinion, and you're welcome to yours, but I sure would like to see some hard facts to support that sliding is better than running to 1st.
coolstuff

by Tucson » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:51 am

I would have had to ask the umpire, what rule set he was using. That is an awful call. So, did the PU know why the base ump was calling her out?

That was grounds for protesting the game. If not, the ump can make up any rule the wants.
Tucson

by 3Bsnag » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:19 pm

We were talking about diving into 1B on another thread way back. I believe it has its place and people thought I was crazy.

Some umpires will always give the out if it's close on a run through. Not only is diving faster, but the umpires get out of their groove and will really watch closer since the dive into first is different. We always saved it for a do or die situations though.

Good for her for being that aggressive!
3Bsnag

by wadeintothem » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:29 pm

I'm pretty sure mythbusters or someone else debunked diving as being faster. Logic tells you it would not be faster. I know I've seen a show on it. People dive running to first for "oh ah factor" not because its faster.

Since you are able to overrun 1B there is no compelling reason for a BR to dive into 1B IMO.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by MTR » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:01 pm

3Bsnag wrote:Some umpires will always give the out if it's close on a run through. Not only is diving faster, but the umpires get out of their groove and will really watch closer since the dive into first is different. We always saved it for a do or die situations though.

Good for her for being that aggressive!

Aahhhh.......nope. I believe you have it backwards. Diving or sliding into 1B for any reason other than to avoid the tag is more likely going to get you an out call. The run through will always be a more accurate call.
MTR

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner