Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

How should I have handled this?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:03 am

I'm still a wee babe newby and I was on the bases for a HS game the other night ... My experienced Mentor behind the dish signaled to me 3 times during the game that the infield fly rule was in effect when it was not ... Do I not acknowledge his signal? ... or signal back as if it is off and see what his response is? ... or do I call time and have a conference ?... And in NCAA, is the infield fly rule in effect the same as it would be in the rest of the free world ? ...( I ask this because he mentioned that he does NCAA ) .... he otherwise called a good game ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by wadeintothem » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:34 am

Talk to him between innings and find out what he is signalling. Sometimes people have made up their own signals. Maybe he really is wrong on the rule (or maybe you are??). When someone gives me a signal I dont understand I talk to them about it right away (between 1/2 inning) just on the off chance its important (usually its not important, they are just goofy).
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:49 am

It may have been 4 times ... always the same situation ... R1 on 3rd, R2 on first, less than 2 outs ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by umpinva » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:06 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:I'm still a wee babe newby and I was on the bases for a HS game the other night ... My experienced Mentor behind the dish signaled to me 3 times during the game that the infield fly rule was in effect when it was not ... Do I not acknowledge his signal? ... or signal back as if it is off and see what his response is? ... or do I call time and have a conference ?... And in NCAA, is the infield fly rule in effect the same as it would be in the rest of the free world ? ...( I ask this because he mentioned that he does NCAA ) .... he otherwise called a good game ...

Did you and your partner talk about the infield fly situation after the game? What was said?
umpinva

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:28 pm

I'm embarrased to say ... that although I felt 100% sure I was correct ... with my partners years of experience in NFHS, ASA, NSA & NCAA ( all of this according to him, I did not discuss this matter with the UIC, or rather our interim UIC or anyone else prior to this thread ) I was reluctant ... I did not discuss this with him during or after the game ... He did stay after the game and offered some advice on my mechanics ... I came home and re-read the IFR to make sure I was right ... If I work with him again, I'll be sure address the issue ... I know there would have been a mess if we had an infield fly ... gladly, it didn't happen ...
GIMNEPIWO

Return to The Umpire Corner