Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Umpire positioning

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by MTR » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:58 pm

rbi wrote:DD had the same situation in a ASA 12U National Championship tourney game. BU 2 steps away and even with SS, we all know this would be a serious distraction to anyone let alone a 12yr old, and when asked to please move, the response was "young lady get used to it because this is how it will be in college". When I was told of this i started paying closer attn to other games, and it was hit and miss on positioning, some did it but most didnt. I myself think its a bunch of bull that they think they need to be on SS hip, to me its a power trip by select blues. My response is when the BLUE'S make the game about them and not the kids, I have a problem with it.

Question: How deep was the infielder?
MTR

by rbi » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:46 am

MTR wrote:
rbi wrote:DD had the same situation in a ASA 12U National Championship tourney game. BU 2 steps away and even with SS, we all know this would be a serious distraction to anyone let alone a 12yr old, and when asked to please move, the response was "young lady get used to it because this is how it will be in college". When I was told of this i started paying closer attn to other games, and it was hit and miss on positioning, some did it but most didnt. I myself think its a bunch of bull that they think they need to be on SS hip, to me its a power trip by select blues. My response is when the BLUE'S make the game about them and not the kids, I have a problem with it.

He positioned himself even with SS if SS was at regular depth (majority of time), now if she was even with bag or closer of course he wasnt still on her hip. MY whole thing is and I have not been to a every D-1 college conference to watch a game but the ones I have seen the BU are on the grass or at least 6 to 8 feet behind SS. Whats ironic is he made it sound like this was the way we do it, yet I only saw 1 or 2 others out of however many blues work a national do this. My question is why wouldn't all the BU's at a National have some sort of uniformity on positioning?
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:51 pm

rbi wrote:
MTR wrote:

He positioned himself even with SS if SS was at regular depth (majority of time), now if she was even with bag or closer of course he wasnt still on her hip. MY whole thing is and I have not been to a every D-1 college conference to watch a game but the ones I have seen the BU are on the grass or at least 6 to 8 feet behind SS. Whats ironic is he made it sound like this was the way we do it, yet I only saw 1 or 2 others out of however many blues work a national do this. My question is why wouldn't all the BU's at a National have some sort of uniformity on positioning?

Reason I asked where the fielder was located.

It is a standard mechanic for an umpire to stand behind a direct line between two fielders. This insures that if the umpire is struck by a fair, untouched batted ball, they are still considered "behind" the fielder and cannot interfere with the play. Depending on the actual location of the fielders, it could appear that the umpire is along side or in front of one of the fielders.

HOWEVER, this is done more often in SP (have never seen it in youth FP) where the infield plays deep, sometimes pushing the umpire so far away from the play, they cannot get a proper position to make a call. Why an umpire would do that when not necessary beats the hell out of me. And to the best of my knowledge, that is not an instructed mechanic (other than when necessary) for any game.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:33 pm

Maybe he forgot his glasses ... :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner