Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

LBR

Rule question? Get it answered here.

LBR

by NavinR » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:10 pm

R1 on third. Ball four on batter. Catcher returns ball to pitcher while BR runs to first and continues to second without stopping. R1, after ball is returned to pitcher but before BR reaches second steps towards home than returns to third. Home plate umpire calls R1 out for hesitation.
My belief is that the play is still live, whether or not the ball is in control in the circle, until BR either stops at a base, or stops an returns to a base and the LBR cannot be in effect for one runner and not the other.
Should hesitation been called?
"Don't Whine, Don't Complain, Don't Make Excuses"
John Wooden
NavinR

by wadeintothem » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:59 pm

OK once BR reached first and the ball was in the circle and no play being made on the BR...

LBR rule was in effect for R1. LBR can be in effect for R1 even though BR is still advancing to two if the parameters are met. So she was on the base with LBR in effect - she must stay there. Leaving and she's dust.

Sounds like a good call.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by NavinR » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:29 pm

thanks, Wade
I didn't realize that the LBR could be in effect for one runner before it was for another.
"Don't Whine, Don't Complain, Don't Make Excuses"
John Wooden
NavinR

by wadeintothem » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:37 pm

NavinR wrote:thanks, Wade
I didn't realize that the LBR could be in effect for one runner before it was for another.

It sure can. In fact when talking about LBR at umpire clinics and wherever this is exactly the play often used as an example.

Real heads up call by the umpire... even if a painful lesson.. ;)
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by MTR » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:25 pm

NavinR wrote:I didn't realize that the LBR could be in effect for one runner before it was for another.

It isn't. The LBR goes into effect for all runners at the same time. In this case, R1 was in violation and the BR was not.
MTR

by mgkblue » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:25 am

MTR wrote:
NavinR wrote:I didn't realize that the LBR could be in effect for one runner before it was for another.

It isn't. The LBR goes into effect for all runners at the same time. In this case, R1 was in violation and the BR was not.

This is correct. The question is where do you place the BR, because at the time of the LBR violation by R1 the ball is dead. If BR has not yet reached second base, the BR should be returned to first base.

There cannot be any advance by a runner during a dead ball situation.
mgkblue

by wadeintothem » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:37 am

mgkblue wrote:
MTR wrote:

This is correct. The question is where do you place the BR, because at the time of the LBR violation by R1 the ball is dead. If BR has not yet reached second base, the BR should be returned to first base.

There cannot be any advance by a runner during a dead ball situation.

Irrelevent nuance about LBR aside - Correct, the BR is returned to 1B.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by MTR » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:02 am

mgkblue wrote:There cannot be any advance by a runner during a dead ball situation.

In this situation, that is true. However, it is not a comment which is absolute. Players often advance during a dead ball situation.
MTR

by Coach11 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:11 am

NavinR wrote:R1 on third. Ball four on batter. Catcher returns ball to pitcher while BR runs to first and continues to second without stopping. R1, after ball is returned to pitcher but before BR reaches second steps towards home than returns to third. Home plate umpire calls R1 out for hesitation.
My belief is that the play is still live, whether or not the ball is in control in the circle, until BR either stops at a base, or stops an returns to a base and the LBR cannot be in effect for one runner and not the other.
Should hesitation been called?

By your description, it doesn't sound as if she did....but if the pitcher made any motion, as if making a play on either R1 or BR, the LBR would not have been in affect. But being in possession of the ball within the circle means R1 must commit either towards home or back to 3rd.
Coach11

by wadeintothem » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:03 pm

Just as a clarification to what coach said - She can stop once, then must commit to one or the other. She is still permitted her one stop.

The statement about "as if making a play" getting nuanced as well.

But generally for the purpose of this thread correct so I'll let it go...
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner