Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Scoring Question?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by hit4power » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:59 pm

Wow, this is more complicated than I thought. I could not hear the entire conversation between OC and PU. Interpreting gestures and hearing part of the conversation I assumed the batter was called out for vacating the field but if, in fact, the PU did call the batter out for failure to return to the box in the allotted time, then the pitcher would get credit for a K, so now I need to check with the coach and confirm what the ruling actually was. Thanks for all the input - I always learn something out here.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:18 am

wadeintothem wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:I can't find anywhere in the NHFS rulebook or casebook where a batter can enter deadball area and it is correctable ... help please ...?

Silence on situations like this does not imply that it is illegal. On a rule like this you would search for a rule and a effect.

In most situations, if its not covered, it is not illegal. You would not expect to find a rule that states "A batter may enter the dugout between pitches"... thankfully. Instead we have delay rules.

Got it ... not the first time you've had to tell me something similar to this ... but I'll catch on ... the positive of my searching is that I'm reading many other things that do NOT apply, but am getting a grasp on ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Softballshouldbefun » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:35 pm

I dont usually check scoring threads too much since this is not an art form I have studied... whenever I get asked about scoring I always answer "its a fielders choice".

This made me snort since it's the way that one of the mothers on the team keeps score. There are no 'errors', just plays the fielders decided not to make!! We have team meetings after games and talk about extra base hits which are actually singles followed by the runner moving up on a throw or an error. I'm not saying everyone should know the right and wrong way, but if you're going to keep the 'official' book for the team, you should probably make an effort and learn the right way.
Softballshouldbefun

by Clean_up » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:29 am

Softballshouldbefun wrote:
I dont usually check scoring threads too much since this is not an art form I have studied... whenever I get asked about scoring I always answer "its a fielders choice".

This made me snort since it's the way that one of the mothers on the team keeps score. There are no 'errors', just plays the fielders decided not to make!! We have team meetings after games and talk about extra base hits which are actually singles followed by the runner moving up on a throw or an error. I'm not saying everyone should know the right and wrong way, but if you're going to keep the 'official' book for the team, you should probably make an effort and learn the right way.

Especially true if coaches want to review the books or use stats.. Nice to actually have accurate info to refer back to...
Clean_up

by SnocatzDad » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:03 am

Last year our association hosted a book keeping clinic for our coaches to get them on the same page. Wasn't 100% successful, but I think we at least eliminated any bunts being recorded as HR's.

One variation I use as a coach is to consider ROE the same as a BB in terms or OBP. My rationale is that if I have a slapper/bunter that reaches base 75 times out of 100 but on 50 of those there is a bad throw or questionable fielding I would want to represent her OBP effeciency as .750 as opposed to the traditional OBP which would register as only .250. To me there is value in putting the ball in play and fast runners tend to force the defense to make mistakes.
SnocatzDad

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner