Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Pitcher's Feet Question (By Division)

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Izzy's Dad » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:09 pm

Don't have the rulebook in front of me, but USSSA rules state that the pitcher's non-pivot foot may start on the back of the plate or behind the plate prior to bring hands together. What do other dividions allow, including NCAA?
Izzy's Dad

by wadeintothem » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:25 am

ASA NCAA - both feet must be touching plate.
NFHS is like utrip
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Izzy's Dad » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:51 am

Thank you. Daughter (12U) played ASA last year. Gonna play some ASA, but mostly USSSA this year. Since the goal is High School pitching, and they use NCAA rules, don't really want to change her feet. I really don't see any benefit to it. Plus, her pitching instructor says both feet on the plate. Back foot has toes in contact with the plate.
Izzy's Dad

by wadeintothem » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:06 am

Izzy's Dad wrote:Thank you. Daughter (12U) played ASA last year. Gonna play some ASA, but mostly USSSA this year. Since the goal is High School pitching, and they use NCAA rules, don't really want to change her feet. I really don't see any benefit to it. Plus, her pitching instructor says both feet on the plate. Back foot has toes in contact with the plate.

High School generally doesnt use NCAA rules. The NCAA rule is even more strict than ASA, dictating how much of the foot must be on the plate. When I said NFHS I was talking about the rule set used by most high schools. NFHS - the foot can be back off the plate. Only the pivot foot must be in contact with the plate prior to the hands coming together under NFHS rules.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Colo Blue » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:09 am

Actually, Like Wade previously stated: NFHS is indentical to USSSA. They do not use NCAA pitching rules. ASA and NCAA are almost Identical. But since your daughter already pitches per the ASA rule, keep her there. She can stay consistent that way, and not have to think "What can I do today?" It is so much easier for them to use one style. If she uses the ASA rules, she can pitch in any sanction.
Colo Blue

by MTR » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:13 pm

wadeintothem wrote:ASA NCAA - both feet must be touching plate.
NFHS is like utrip

Doesn't NCAA take it a step farther and require part of the foot to be on top of the PP?
MTR

by skahtboi » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:42 am

MTR wrote:
wadeintothem wrote:ASA NCAA - both feet must be touching plate.
NFHS is like utrip

Doesn't NCAA take it a step farther and require part of the foot to be on top of the PP?

Yes. At least half of the pivot foot must be on the top surface of the pitching plate.
skahtboi

Return to The Umpire Corner