Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Police Officer/Coach

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:29 pm

UmpSteve wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
MTR wrote:
vcblue wrote:Would you let a police officer coach in full uniform (Gun and Taser on belt)? Had this happen this year. I let it go, but was put on the spot when he did not like/understand a call. Our association pres. requested that he change the next time, but he was on duty (lunch?) so I don't think he can. I would like to hear from you especially if you are an officer.

Not a shot he would be on the field in any uniform other than the team's. Don't care if he is on duty or not. He has his rules, softball has their rules. And since a gun and taser are not permitted, by rule, in the coach's box, I guess he cannot be there ;)

Firefighter/ EMT in a rural community ... Pager on his belt, yes or no ?

Don't out-think it. The rule you are referencing exists to keep coaches from receiving illegal communications to cheat their opponents. In a National Championship, no; in a community where everyone knows his position, leave it alone. I have had a coach tell me his wife was due any time, ok if, and I stopped him with "of course".

A far cry from a gun and taser. Unless you want to allow the firefighter to carry his axe, too.

I was refering to MTR's stance of strickly enforcing the rules ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:07 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
UmpSteve wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
MTR wrote:
vcblue wrote:Would you let a police officer coach in full uniform (Gun and Taser on belt)? Had this happen this year. I let it go, but was put on the spot when he did not like/understand a call. Our association pres. requested that he change the next time, but he was on duty (lunch?) so I don't think he can. I would like to hear from you especially if you are an officer.

Not a shot he would be on the field in any uniform other than the team's. Don't care if he is on duty or not. He has his rules, softball has their rules. And since a gun and taser are not permitted, by rule, in the coach's box, I guess he cannot be there ;)

Don't out-think it. The rule you are referencing exists to keep coaches from receiving illegal communications to cheat their opponents. In a National Championship, no; in a community where everyone knows his position, leave it alone. I have had a coach tell me his wife was due any time, ok if, and I stopped him with "of course".

A far cry from a gun and taser. Unless you want to allow the firefighter to carry his axe, too.

Not a problem, have dealt with this every week with firefighters league, and EMT & policemen on a regular basis and it isn't a problem for more than 20 years. The answer is no. You can put any spin on it you want, is it not necessary to have it on their hip or belt.

Yes, the police here are required to carry at all times. During the game, the firearms stay in the equipment bag. EMT & firefighters have either a radio turned up or have someone in the dugout monitoring their radio, pager, beeper, cell phone, etc. Some even bring a unit and park it alongside the field.

You are over-blowing a very simple situation that can be easily resolved without making exceptions to the standing rules.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:53 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
UmpSteve wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
MTR wrote:

Not a problem, have dealt with this every week with firefighters league, and EMT & policemen on a regular basis and it isn't a problem for more than 20 years. The answer is no. You can put any spin on it you want, is it not necessary to have it on their hip or belt.

Yes, the police here are required to carry at all times. During the game, the firearms stay in the equipment bag. EMT & firefighters have either a radio turned up or have someone in the dugout monitoring their radio, pager, beeper, cell phone, etc. Some even bring a unit and park it alongside the field.

You are over-blowing a very simple situation that can be easily resolved without making exceptions to the standing rules.

Not over blowing ... Devil advocating and clarifying ... ;) ... League I used to play in 35 years ago had a special set of rules concerning the team of Firefighters and how Blues were supposed to manage a game interupted by an alarm ... It would seem that the league in the OP should approach the Department and Police Officer / Coach and reach an agreement on how this should be handled ...
vcblue says in the OP " Had this happen this year. I let it go, but was put on the spot when he did not like/understand a call. " ... I was wondering what he/she meant about being put on the spot ....
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by DP3816 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:34 am

Look if you're not breaking the law or making bad calls you've got nothing to worry about.
DP3816

by ontheblack » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:30 am

freetacos wrote: I think it was very stupid thinking on the cops part, too many bad scenarios could play out. The very last thing that you think could happen might very well be the exact thing that happens next.

Lucky for everyone that I only had 2 cents and now I'm broke. :lol:

ft

Especially if he was playing against Fox.
ontheblack

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:48 am

ontheblack wrote:
freetacos wrote: I think it was very stupid thinking on the cops part, too many bad scenarios could play out. The very last thing that you think could happen might very well be the exact thing that happens next.

Lucky for everyone that I only had 2 cents and now I'm broke. :lol:

ft

Especially if he was playing against Fox.

OTB, Did you notice he "choked" just before earning a berth this past weekend?

Karma I say... :lol:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:06 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Not over blowing ... Devil advocating and clarifying ... ;)

Bet you watched the History Channels Hatfields & McCoys, didn't you

... League I used to play in 35 years ago had a special set of rules concerning the team of Firefighters and how Blues were supposed to manage a game interupted by an alarm ... It would seem that the league in the OP should approach the Department and Police Officer / Coach and reach an agreement on how this should be handled ...

Not the umpire's call, league's call. (referring to game)

vcblue says in the OP " Had this happen this year. I let it go, but was put on the spot when he did not like/understand a call. " ... I was wondering what he/she meant about being put on the spot ....

Mere presence. There is some serious amount of god-complex with some firefighters and LEO. Too often some believe and try to enforce, their authorized power in the street on the ballfield and that is not a good thing.

And if I cannot carry on the field, no one can.
MTR

by Vagrant99 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:46 pm

I assumed thats why they wore these disturbing uniforms
Attachments
cop coach.jpg
cop coach.jpg (8.37 KiB) Viewed 4930 times
Vagrant99

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:13 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:Not over blowing ... Devil advocating and clarifying ... ;)

Bet you watched the History Channels Hatfields & McCoys, didn't you

... League I used to play in 35 years ago had a special set of rules concerning the team of Firefighters and how Blues were supposed to manage a game interupted by an alarm ... It would seem that the league in the OP should approach the Department and Police Officer / Coach and reach an agreement on how this should be handled ...

Not the umpire's call, league's call. (referring to game)

Mere presence. There is some serious amount of god-complex with some firefighters and LEO. Too often that is not a good thing.

And if I cannot carry on the field, no one can.

:lol: No on the Hatfield McCoys thing ... Get enough of that just living in Southern Va. ... And with Direct TV, the MLB package and a DVR ... Once softball is over I either watch baseball or baseball ... sometimes baseball ... :lol:

As far as being put on the spot, I was wondering if as you addressed he was refering to the intimidation factor and whether that did happen ... Because if there was some outright intimidation versus a perceived intimidation there are bigger issues at play here ...
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:19 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:As far as being put on the spot, I was wondering if as you addressed he was refering to the intimidation factor and whether that did happen ... Because if there was some outright intimidation versus a perceived intimidation there are bigger issues at play here ...

Did you ever notice one of the first things someone, including a police officer do when they sense even a remote possibility of confrontation? The hand moves to the weapon. In your area, it is probably the same as the barrel of the rifle coming off the shoulder. ;) Common and understandable reaction. Did the same thing when I was on the street and sometimes before there was any cause as it is meant to be just as much intimidating as it is preparation for action.

The only problem is on the ballfield, how can that be noticed as anything other than intimidating, intentionally or not?

Even Bad, Bad Leroy Brown would know that this is not appropriate for the ballfield.
MTR

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner